Cannot remove IMAP account from Mail

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ashcat, Apr 21, 2010.

1. ashcat macrumors newbie

I'm using OSX 10.6 & Mail 4.2.

We just want to use a POP account with Mail.

For some reason an IMAP account was previously added, which I want to delete (Mail keeps trying to send / receive from this IMAP account, which isn't set up, and stops Mail working)

However, when I try and delete it by going to Mail -> Preferences, then selecting the IMAP account and pressing the '-' button - it won't delete it! It just stays there in the left hand column. How to I delete it?

thanks

2. TaSobekRa macrumors newbie

Go to ~/Library/preferences and pull the com.apple.mail.plist to the trash. Restart the computer, then re-launch mail.

3. ashcat thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I tried doing that, but when I open Mail up again there is still an IMAP account listed (the POP accounts have all gone), which does not go away when I delete it!
    Any other suggestions?

4. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

Have you tried repairing permissions on the drive? Also you could try to delete the folder that holds all the IMAP account folders in ~/Library/Mail where ~ is your home folder. Close Mail and delete anything in that folder that starts with IMAP and then reload Mail and see if that helps anything.

5. matto1376 macrumors newbie

Same problem

Hi, Did anyone find a resolution to this? I am having the same issue - cannot remove an IMAP account - it just keeps on coming back!
    Any ideas?

6. matto1376 macrumors newbie

Deleting IMAP account

I found this elsewhere - but I will post it here because I have found a few people with this problem and no resolution.

Went to System Preferences / Accounts
    Clicked on Login Options
    REMOVED an entry for Network Account Server

as referenced by:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2244828&tstart=90