Cannot rename folders in OSX 10.5.8

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Slrman, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Slrman macrumors member

Slrman

I recently purchased a used 15" PowerBook Ti 1.0GHz with a fresh install of OSX 10.5.8.

Even though I am logged in as Administrator it will not allow me to rename folders or to delete some files. When trying to rename a folder, for example, it displays, " You do not have sufficient access privileges to rename the item."

I have run the Disk Utility to repair permissions but with no improvement.

When I Get Info on the folder, it says I have Read and Write permissions but I cannot change the name in the Get Info box, either.

It there something I am missing (probably). :eek:

Thanks

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Can you give examples of some of the files/folders you are trying to modify? Admin doesn't mean have direct access to anything, which is for your protection really.

3. Slrman thread starter macrumors member

Slrman

Thanks for the tip. I have just now found the problem. Looking again at the Get Info box, I noticed that even though "Everyone" had read/write privileges, that the specific user (me) was not listed.

Being a fresh install, the base ID was "User". I added that ID and voila! no more problem. Yes, I know, I should have noticed that sooner. :eek: But it's OK, now.

4. daysebc macrumors newbie

Rename folders in Finder

To rename the folder File> Get Info > Sharing & Permitions: You can read and write > unlock the locker > put your password> Name & Extension > click in that arrow to extend or open you're going to see the name of the folder just changed.

It;s not easy like Microsoft just rig click and rename it's more work.
    I hope solve the problem.

5. Slrman thread starter macrumors member

Slrman

Thanks for the help but I had already tried this. In fact, it was one of the first things I tried, even before pasting this thread. Obviously, it didn't work, but I did find the solution as I posted in the the box above yours.

Everyone, thanks again for all the help. I do appreciate it. For sure I know where to come with problems. :D

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

It is quite easy with the Mac OS. I have never had the problem reported by the OP. The issue was permissions that somehow were not "correct", not the functionality of the OS. In other words, like most problems, caused by the user. Out of the box, it works perfectly: click once, pause, click again, type.

7. Slrman thread starter macrumors member

Slrman

Thanks, Gregg2. You are totally correct. Yes, it was "A problem caused by the user" as you can tell from the solution. It's one of the hazards of buying a used system and not being able to do a complete system re-install myself. That would have cured the problem before it started.

Renaming in OSX is easier than in Windows, but not by a lot. That kind of describes most comparisons of the Mac OS and Windows. The Mac always seems to be just a year or two ahead. But let's not complain, it used to be 4 or 5 years, so Microsoft is getting better, yes?

I have the iMac, two PowerBooks, a Walkabout HH3 Tablet running Win2000, and an HP desktop with Windows XP (back dated from Vista). I've run Macs and Windows side-by-side for over 20 years and I'm a Mac fan but must admit, Windows is getting closer, even if they still are a bit buggy. I just never use the first release of anything from MS; or from Apple or anyone else for that matter.