Cannot repair disk on MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by webia, Apr 28, 2009.

1. webia macrumors newbie

Ok, as all problems come in pairs, I have a minor issue (I hope).

Yesterday, time machine threw me an error that it cannot complete the backup as it cannot copy some files to the backup drive. I checked and installed time machine buddy to easily check the logs. It turned out some file was the bad guy. It was a personal, unimportant file so I deleted it.

Ran backup again, same time machine error. I then checked in more detail, and as suggested I deleted from my backup drive one long name with .inProgress extension package, while time machine was off. Turned time machine back on, still errors.

So I though my drive could be corrupted or something. Opened disk utility checked and fixed permissions, then same thing with the disk.

1. I get First Aid Failed
    Disk Utility stopped verifying “Macintosh HD” because the following error was encountered:
    Filesystem verify or repair failed.

and with these details:
    Verifying volume “Macintosh HD”

Performing live verification.
    Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
    Checking Extents Overflow file.
    Keys out of order
    The volume Macintosh HD needs to be repaired.

Error: Filesystem verify or repair failed.

2. Ok, so I didn't have my Leopard cd with me. I tried to safe boot the MBP. It booted up successfully. I know safe boot performs a disk check, so I though problem fixed. But no, still there.

3. I tried to boot in single-user mode and use fsck -fy. Unfortunately after running it consecutively for around 25 times, the same answer:
    ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****

4. My MBP came with tiger, so I found the original tiger CDs. I tried to boot from it holding C key to use disk utility. had one kernel panic, and once the mac froze. Nothing happened. I also tried to start the "installation" from the OS, so that I do not have to hold the C key, but same as above. Didn't work.

Any suggestions ?

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

It looks like a HDD problem which isn't that serious. Hopefully you have AppleCare - HDD will be replaced, assuming it works, all will be well if not you're probably looking a logic board problem but it looks like it's just the HDD.

3. webia thread starter macrumors newbie

Shouldn't a disk format and reinstall fix this? Any ideas why booting from tiger cd didn't work?

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

No. The problem isn't with what's on this disk instead it's with the HDD itself.

5. webia thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyhow, those errors were reported by DU while I was logged in into the OS and used DU on the same drive I booted up from, which can throw errors.

I need to check from the CD in order to be sure, however I cannot do that...Any ideas why booting from tiger doesn't work?

6. webia thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, so just came back from the apple reseller. I checked the hdd there, same error, while booted from the disk. Onyx also tells me to repair the disk using disk utility, but it would not work.

7. sascha h-k macrumors 6502

sascha h-k

use diskwarrior 4.1.1 started from an extern hdd !

8. webia thread starter macrumors newbie

9. sascha h-k macrumors 6502

sascha h-k

10. webia thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I am going to find sometime in the next weeks some time to copy paste all my hdd on the backup disk, so that I have everything, not just a time machine backup dated on 16th of April, and then erase and install from backup (16th of April) and then restore as I go the things I need from the manual backup.

If this won't fix the issue, I will have to go back to Apple and leave it for service :(

11. sascha h-k macrumors 6502

sascha h-k