Cannot repartition mac hd

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Caulin, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Caulin macrumors newbie

Hello. I was going to install linux on my 2013 rMBP 15" but then i decided not too. I added the partitions to do so and then when i decided not to follow through i deleted the partitions i made. I tried to resize my macintosh hd, however, after it finished the hd was the same size it was before. So now i have 50gb that is just grey and disk utility will not reformat it. When i boot into recovery mode and try it i get the error saying that it could not be unmounted, even when i manually unmount the mac disc. I verified my disk and verified the disc permissions. What do i do? By the way i have a bootcamp partition of windows 7. So i have 2 partitions and an extra grey piece thats about 50gb

Attached Files:

2. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

From the look of things, you ought to be able to grab that little triangle on the bottom right of the Macintosh HD whitespace with your mouse, and drag it down towards the Windows partition. Then click apply.
    Your windows partition is at max size, but the Mac partition does have room to grow.

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

this is correct, and if you ever deleted the window partition you would be able to claim that space the same way

4. Caulin thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes that is why this is so weird. When i click and drag and then click apply/partition it doesnt work. I get the error saying could not unmount disc. I even tried recovery mode then erasing the macintosh partition and resizing and it wont work. I also tried to delete the partition without any luck. I always get the same error. Im talking to apple right now, but the guy doesnt know whats wrong. He may have to get a "senior advisor" lol. I awlays have random errors that people dont see a lot.

5. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

Reboot.
    If no joy,
    Replace your copy of Disk Utility, and kill its prefs file: "com.apple.DiskUtility.plist". Then try again.