Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

novetan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
My magic keyboard is about 8 yrs old. Every 3rd or 4th day I have to charge it. I do realised the keyboard battery is non-replaceable. And checking thru Apple website, the new keyboard requires OS 11.3 or later. Mine was 10.13 and I don't wish to update the OS. Otherwise many of the programme cannot be used. So it seems I'm at the dead end.

Now what. Can I constantly plug in the wire to charge it and use it? What can happen in long term say for another 5 yrs down the road.

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Does it work (as a "USB keyboard") when the charging cable is plugged in?

If so, just use it that way.

Or take a look at the Logitech MX keys for Mac...

(I've never bothered with a "wireless" keyboard in 37 years of Mac use. Won't be trying one now.)

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Now what. Can I constantly plug in the wire to charge it and use it?

As far as I know, yes - it works as a wired keyboard.

What can happen in long term say for another 5 yrs down the road.

Pretty much any USB, Bluetooth or USB wireless dongle keyboard will work with a Mac. Ones with a Mac layout, or dual Mac/PC markings are better (esp. in the UK where there are more differences between PC and Mac UK keyboards) but you can get by with a PC layout. Logitech usually have fair Mac support, and don't assume that you have to install their software (which may need a newer OS).

The old, unsupported OS is going to get you eventually if you want to use it for web or email or install any new software, and can't keep it offline - but it shouldn't be instant landfill. Still, I'd aim to migrate away from those old applications over the next few years.

novetan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
Does it work (as a "USB keyboard") when the charging cable is plugged in?

If so, just use it that way.

Or take a look at the Logitech MX keys for Mac...

(I've never bothered with a "wireless" keyboard in 37 years of Mac use. Won't be trying one now.)
Yes, it does work when wired but just worried there should not be constant charging just like any battery right? The batt can hold for ard 3 days. Don't the batt one fine day will kaput?

And tks for the heads up for the logitech MX. Will keep in mind.

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
Now what. Can I constantly plug in the wire to charge it and use it? What can happen in long term say for another 5 yrs down the road.
The concern would be a possibility of battery swelling.

Keeping your gadgets fully charged and fully dead could contribute to battery swelling over time.
His advice: Once your gadget’s battery hits 100 percent, unplug it and use it as you normally would.

If you’re feeling ambitious, you could disconnect and remove the battery (for recycling):

Through step 7.

ipaqrat

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2017
I swapped my Apple Magics to Logitech. I feel stupid for waiting so long. Nice build quality. Plug-n-play bluetooth with all Mac features working; Logitech app NOT required.
  • MX Anywhere 3 for Mac - BT, Recharges while you use it.
  • Ergo K 860 - BT, AA Batteries, Fully keyed for Mac compatibility. Not backlit.
I liked these so much I got four sets for personal Macs and work Windows. Expensive, but worth it.

novetan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
I swapped my Apple Magics to Logitech. I feel stupid for waiting so long. Nice build quality. Plug-n-play bluetooth with all Mac features working; Logitech app NOT required.
  • MX Anywhere 3 for Mac - BT, Recharges while you use it.
  • Ergo K 860 - BT, AA Batteries, Fully keyed for Mac compatibility. Not backlit.
I liked these so much I got four sets for personal Macs and work Windows. Expensive, but worth it.
Tks so much. Will check it up

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.