General Cannot replace original app icons [JB]

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by dennmtr, Jan 11, 2014.

1. dennmtr macrumors newbie

I made some icon changes using photoshop templates. When i replace the icon files with the original (x@2x.png +) on the ios7 application folder. Nothing Changes after restart. Cleaning apple's cache folder too.

Any idea? is there another place where icons stored?

The iphone 5 is jailbroken

2. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

Which app are you having trouble with? You are cleaning the app icon cache, right?

3. dennmtr thread starter macrumors newbie

Not a system app or cydia. I clean the app icons cache from here /var/mobile/Library/Caches/com.apple.IconsCache "only" & i replace icon in the application folder.

*NEW

As i saw the icon on the notification center and its mine. Home screen icon is still the same

4. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

there's a possibility the app doesn't use icon@2x.png

it might use some other filename.png for the home screen icon

5. cobbyco, Jan 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2014

cobbyco macrumors 6502a

cobbyco

This is because the app has yet to support the iOS 7 icon size (120x120). The icon will only theme if you use a 114x114 icon, and even then the icon will be stretched on the homescreen to 120x120 so will looked slightly rough.

A prime example of this is Flickr, which through WinterBoard or manual theming refuses to change to the new 120x120 icon, so defaults back to the old one.

It also depends on how the app's Info.plist was coded, meaning that some icons will theme while others won't. Touch Arcade is an app that hasn't been updated and yet still themes fine. It's really a lottery as to what works and what doesn't.

Either use a slightly smaller icon and have it stretched or wait for the app to be updated for iOS 7.

6. dennmtr thread starter macrumors newbie

It's ios7 updated. Alright I will check. The filename is the same as the original (replaced)