Cannot restore free space partition from Boot Camp

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by farran17, Nov 26, 2014.

1. farran17, Nov 26, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2014

farran17 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I was partitioning for Boot Camp and the Windows 7 install failed, so I tried to use the Boot Camp Assistant to delete the partition, but it said it couldn't do so. I went to Disk Utility and erased the Windows partition, but forgot what I formatted it as. Now, no matter what I do, I can't add back the lost space into the original Macintosh HD partition. I don't believe this Macbook Pro came with the original OS X installation disc either.

Edit: I booted into the Recovery HD and I can see that that empty space is formatted as Free Space. I try to change it to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and hit apply, but it doesn't seem like it's doing anything. The window flashes really quick and I see the words "Preparing to partition," but then it disappears. When I try to click on another tab, it says "There are unsaved changes to the partition settings of this disk." I also cannot figure out how to "save" these settings.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Turn off FileVault encryption and wait for it to unencrypt then Disk Util will allow you to resize the Macintosh HD partition into the free space.

3. farran17 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much Weaselboy, saved me again. Have a great thanksgiving man!

4. rexx74 macrumors newbie

I have the same problem in Yosemite and file vault is off and have never been on.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

On some Macs Yosemite also turns on core storage (which is different than FileVault), but causes the same issue.

Run the command below in Terminal an see if the main volume says Apple_CoreStorage in front of it.

Code:
    diskutil list
    If it does, run this command to turn it off then you should be able to resize.

Code:
    diskutil cs revert /