Cannot restore iPhone 4 'Device is not eligible'

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by iamJoshRoth, Jun 7, 2011.

1. iamJoshRoth macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have sold my Jailbroken iPhone 4. It was running 4.2, I believe. I was trying to restore to 4.3 - not 4.3.3 - I understand Apple is still signing 4.3.

I was receiving the error message 'Device is not eligible for the requested build'. I followed a set of solutions:

1. Edit the 'hosts' file by
    • Adding a hash tag before the server address
    • Removing the hash tag
    • After the hash tag, add a single space break before the server address
    • After the hash tag, press the 'tab' key once, before the server address

2. Remove the entire server address, and gs.apple.com

None of these have worked, and my iPhone is now stuck in DFU mode. I am continuously receiving the message that it cannot be restored due to the 'Device not being eligible for the requested build'.

If it is a case that I need to download 4.3.3 as Apple have stopped signing 4.3, can you please also provide instructions on how my Host file should read. I believe at one point I used TinyUmbrella and edited the Hosts file to bypass Apple's servers, although this could have been on the iPhone prior to this one -- I cannot remember.

Thank you.

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

what happens when you just plug in to itunes and hit restore without trying anything with the host files or using a older firmware by clicking Shift(Option) and restore

3. iamJoshRoth thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm currently downloading 4.3.3 on my ridiculously slow, and prone to cut-outs, internet connection. 30 minutes left and I'll give it a go.

Hopefully that will resolve it, and Apple has simply stopped signing 4.3. If not.. I'm screwed.