Cannot restore iPod touch.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by WeeShoo, Jun 17, 2010.

1. WeeShoo macrumors regular

So, after trying to transfer songs awhile back, my iPod shut down, and the Apple logo would stay on the screen for hours. So I was able to get it back into recovery mode, and it displays the iTunes logo with the USB telling you to connect it. So I do, and it says ''iTunes detects a device in recovery mode'' and whatnot, it says waiting for iPod to restore, and the status bar on the iPod itself does not move. I brought it to the Apple store yesterday, the genius did everything I did, and after about 15 mins said there must be a bad sector in the memory or something, in other words, to pay $150 for a refurb. Not something I want to do. Is there anything I can do??

2. funkateer macrumors newbie

Me too.

I bought a refurb 32g touch from a Woot sale a few weeks ago. Worked fine, no trouble, and no obvious damage problems (I haven't dropped it or doused it, for example). One day the battery ran down completely. It showed the red empty battery and lightning bolt -- plugged it in. Apple logo pops up eventually, along with the spinning spokes. For hours.

Plugging it into my computer with iTunes, I can't get it to recognize the touch to restore. Just Apple logo with spinning spokes, doesn't go further.

I want to either return this or fix it -- ideas? Leaning toward return for obvious reasons, but I don't want to send it back without wiping my personal information off. Without being able to hook up to iTunes, is there a way to completely wipe it?

3. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

i dont think you can fix it, so i guess you pay the $150 or you can sell it on ebay for parts, sorry i couldnt help much

4. funkateer macrumors newbie

Arrrggh. Really? There's no way to wipe the data off when it's in this state?

Forgive my ignorance, but on older PDAs I used to inadvertantly wipe data off all the time. If I didn't use one of those older ones for a while, the battery would die, and also, very quickly, the button reserve battery would die, and all data went poof. Is there an equivalent here? I've never let an iPod lay dormant that long.

No way to pop the back and do a full reset?

5. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

I dont think so, course i dont work for apple, but unless theres a factory reset switch, i dont think its possible

There might be... I guess its possible that the ipod has a factory reset button. What model is this? Maybe if you reset your iTunes? Im sorry i have no idea how to help you.

I just think you should sell it on eBay for parts/repair. This might help: http://cgi.ebay.com/Repair-Opening-...ewItem&pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item3cade2a34d

Maybe you could find someone who repairs ipod touches other than apple.

Do you have any idea parts might be the problem?

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Google "iphone DFU" and try to get it into that mode. (Yes, I said "iphone" as the method is the same for touch.)

7. funkateer macrumors newbie

I just tried the DFU mode, and I got it to begin a restore in less than a minute. Perfect! Now I can return this thing with personal info wiped off.

Thanks very much!

8. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Oops, now im wrong, so its back in working order?:D

9. funkateer macrumors newbie

Restore is done, everything seems fully functional. DFU did the trick!

Thanks again!

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Great to hear, DFU does it 99% of the time! :)

11. WeeShoo thread starter macrumors regular

DFU fixed my touch as well! But my question is, why didn't the Apple Genius try this method?

12. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Why does it matter?!?!?! :D

13. WeeShoo thread starter macrumors regular

Well, im just curious. He told me that the was a bad sector on the memory chip, and that there was no hope for it, and to buy a refurb for $150.

14. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Well, he was wrong. Just saved yourself 150 bucks.