Cannot restore my Documents folders from Time Machine backup

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ipoddin, Sep 1, 2009.

1. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

Did a fresh install of SL on my iMac. So far, so good.

Go to my Documents folder, enter time machine, choose the files in my Documents folder and click restore. Exits out back to my desktop, enter my password and it starts to copy over the files. But then suddenly stops. And only copies over a small number of files and empty folders. When trying to restore just the files in some of the folders I get an error that says I don't have permission to access these files. Don't have permission??? Says who and why?

So I go in via finder to the backup, select all the files in my Documents, and manually drag them over to my Documents folder. Same thing happens.

The files are a couple hundred mb. But can't figure out why they don't all copy over. Weird thing is I didn't have this problem with files from other locations like restoring my iPhoto library. Any ideas?

2. ipoddin thread starter macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

Any help? I've tried all sorts of things. Get Info on my backup folder says I can only read. Changing permissions to read and write and it still says I can only read. In disk utility the option to "repair permissions" is grayed out so I can't select it for my external disk. Still don't know why it let me copy some files from my backup but not others.