Cannot restore my iPod to factory 4.1

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by TSX, Sep 23, 2010.

1. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

My friends daughter locked out her iPod (previously JB on 3.1.2 with blackra1n), and then it got "disabled". Now its in recovery mode when i restore to factory 4.1, i get a message from iTunes:

"the ipod cannot be restored at this time because the iPods software update server could not be contacted or is temporary unavailable".

I also noticed when it says extracting software there is nothing displayed on the ipod, i think usually there is a progress bar or something.

As far as dfu mode, i cant power the ipod off because its in recovery mode. I think this is a 3rd gen 8gb. Any ideas how i can get it to restore?

2. vong macrumors 6502a

vong

3. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Myzhi

Is ther anything on the computer that could block you from accessing Apple's servers? What happens when you try to ping them?

4. TSX thread starter macrumors 68030

TSX

Goes right back to recovery mode.

5. TSX thread starter macrumors 68030

TSX

Well i got it working i used my MBP instead, there must me something blocking apples servers on my iMac, now to figure out what.

6. phixionalninja macrumors regular

Absolute shot in the dark, but I just went through restoring my iP4 using stored SHSH blobs, so it's on my mind: any possibility that at some point somebody edited the hosts file on your iMac so that iTunes is trying to phone home to Saurik's servers instead of Apple?

(this suggestion made based on my very limited knowledge of what I did yesterday...I just followed the instructions, but I think that's how it works...)