Cannot rip DVDs with early 2011 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by boer, Apr 17, 2011.

1. boer macrumors regular

Soon after receiving an early 2011 MBP 15" I realized I could not use its internal drive for ripping DVDs. The drive in question is MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-898. Any of my software I have used for this purpose such as RipIt or Fairmount would just not work with the system. Is the drive not functioning correctly or is this a futile attempt by Apple or Matshita to prevent ripping?

Gladly my external DVD drive (USB) still works for the purpose of making backups of my DVDs.

2. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

There's nothing illegal about ripping DVDs. I'd give Apple Support a call.

3. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Have you tried makemkv?

4. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

5. Cantisama, Apr 17, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2011

Cantisama macrumors member

I have the same MBP with same optical drive and it rips dvds just fine (using AnyDVD in Windows 7 bootcamp). If I remember correctly ripping didn't work out of the box, I first had to set the drive rpc to 1 since it defaulted to 0. This may have been a Windows only issue though.

6. AFPoster macrumors 65816

I have the same one as well and no issues with ripping. I use: RipIt, Handbrake and DVDRemaster. All work perfectly. Didn't even have to change any settings.

7. ghostlyorb macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

I have the fully loaded 15".. and I can rip DVDs with handbrake.

8. Detrius macrumors 68000

Have you tried playing any DVDs? If you've never played a DVD, the region will not have been set. Furthermore, ripping is just another form of reading, and if you can't rip, you likely won't be able to play them either.

9. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

This is one factor, matshita drives are notoriously picky about stuff like this. They also won't rip out of region dvd's either.

Other makes in general don't care about either, but matshita drives do.

10. Russell L macrumors regular

I've got the same drive in my new 17" MBP and have had no issues using RipIt to rip a variety of DVDs. There's gotta be something wrong with your drive....

11. Detlev_73 macrumors 6502

Detlev_73

Try Mac the Ripper, it's very good. If you have any extra-region DVDs it'll rip out the region encoding. I watch a lot of region 2 DVDs, so I bought an external slim DVD burner and changed the region to 2.

12. boer thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you everyone for the replies. It appears my MBP had just temporarely lost its mind and a cold restart cured the situation. Everything works just fine now.

13. PAPO macrumors 6502

I use HandBreak, but now you have to have VLC installed if you want to rip DVD's but it works great for me

14. currins macrumors member

Looks like the OP fixed his problem, but I've been amazed at the ease of use of Handbrake + VLC. Just pop it in, select source, choose your preset, and off you go.

I'm ripping/encoding some Seinfeld DVD's and Handbrake makes it simple to pick the actual episode files.

Very pleased.

P.S. And speaking of heat, I'm ripping several DVDs in a row...on my lap.

15. iMackPro macrumors 6502

sorry for de-railing, but i didnt want to make a new thread.

i have handbreak and i like it, but is there any other app that works faster? or rips at higher quality?

Also which quality do i choose for the highest resolution playback?

My options are.. (all HD)
    H.264
    MKV
    MOV
    MEP2 TS
    MEP2 PS
    MPEG4
    WMV
    Xvid

i have all of these HD options for ripping but which one wil give me the best picture? or does it matter if theyre all in HD ? and which one of these carries sounds?

16. iMackPro macrumors 6502