Cannot run Boot camp Assistant

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kimnjerry, Jun 12, 2010.

1. kimnjerry macrumors newbie

Running Snow Leopard with all the latest updates on an Intel iMac. Want to install xp to run Dragon voice software. When I attempt to open Boot Camp Assistant, I get "Boot Camp Assistant Cannot be used. You must update your computer's boot ROM firmware before using this set up assistant."

Can anyone tell me what's going on and what to do about it?

Thanks.

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Update your firmware? Run Software Update from the Apple menu. To install an EFI/SMC update after downloading it you must shut off the computer, and when booting, press and hold the power button. When you hear a long beep, release the power button and look on screen for a progress bar under an Apple logo. Once the progress bar completes the system will probably reboot and then you can try running Boot Camp Assistant again.

3. kimnjerry thread starter macrumors newbie

Can't download firmware.

JediMeister:

Thanks for your reply.

First, as you recommended, I located the following:
    Boot ROM Version: AAPLM501.0060.B00
    SMC Version (system): 1.6b2

Second, I believe I have a late 2006 17" iMac, so I attempted to download the related iMac EFI Firmware Update 1.2; however, when I attempted to do so, the Apple support page gave the following message:

"Cannot Process Command: Internal Error.

Oops! We seem to have run into technical difficulties and cannot complete your download request. It could be that the download link you tried to access has changed and the developer forgot to notify us. Want to let us know so we can get it fixed? Send us an email or make your way back to Downloads for any other downloads you need."

So I'm stumped.

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

I got the same error when I followed the manual update link. What about if you try the software update method I suggested? If it's not listed in software update you may already have downloaded it but you still would want to try the boot with the power button held in. Have you given that a try?

5. kimnjerry thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, but...

If I understand you correctly, I have to download the update first...and I can't get that far. When I initially attempted to resolve this problem, I believe I downloaded all listed updates; however, the error message said the computer didn't need that update.

I'm not a tech person, so thanks for the clarity.