Cannot run Pages full screen on external monitor?!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macnisse, Mar 20, 2013.

1. macnisse macrumors 6502

I'm using MBA w/ external montitor and have both screens active. Opening the Pages app (ver 4.3) and using it on the external screen is ok. But when I try to go full screen (ctrl+cmd+F) on the external monitor the app is just "magically" drawn from the external screen and switches to full screen mode on the laptop screen?! Neither Keynote or Numbers do this = those apps can go full screen mode on the external monitor.

Cannot see any specific setting for this. :confused:

Any hints appreciated. Thanks!

2. The-Pro macrumors 65816

Thats apples unbelievably stupid full screen mode.
    The application goes into full screen on the screen which is the primary one, ie. has the menu bar. Not a single application goes full screen mode on my external screen.

I HATE THE FULL SCREEN MODE!!!!, especially in quicktime, i want to watch something fullscreen on a monitor while doing something else, nope doesn't let you.
    I just always drag the windows to the size of the screens now

3. macnisse thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, I totally agree with the weird functional limitation of not being able to use both full screen mode on external monitor and simultaneously keep working on the laptop screen.

Nonetheless, the strange thing is that both Keynote and Numbers (and MS Office applications) can go full screen mode on the external monitor (but of course also at the same time leaving the MBA screen in "linen" mode)... but Pages CANNOT. Why?! Please see attached screen shots to see what I mean.

Any hints appreciated. Thanks!

Attached Files:

4. agenda893 macrumors member

Go into System Preferences and click on the Displays Icon. In the arrangement settings drag the menu bar from the small display to the larger external to set it as the primary. Problem solved.

5. macnisse thread starter macrumors 6502

Many thanks for the tip! Yes, that will allow Pages to go full screen on the external monitor.:) But still, why do Keynote and Numbers manage to go full screen on the external monitor without this work around? :confused: