Cannot see Apple TV on remote

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by trock8501, Mar 21, 2014.

1. trock8501 macrumors newbie

Hi All

Sure hope someone can help me here. i Have a second gen apple tv, which has worked perfectly with my remote app on my iphone 5s

however i had a ton of slowness issues so i did a restore on the apple tv in hopes it would help it. i also have it wired into my network and its no longer on a wireless network sicne the wired over rides wirless according to the manual

now my apple tv will not show up in my apple remote app anymore, my itunes library does though

i have home sharing on in itunes and on the remote app

the catch 22 is i lost the original remote which is why i have the remote app

so there is no way to get into the apple tv and check the itunes share or anything there

apple tv plays fine on the HDMI port but i can control it anymore

is there a way to reset something so the apple tv shows up again in my apple remote app on my iphone?

thanks much

2. jdblas69 macrumors regular

Have you tried giving your router a reboot? Sometimes that can solve a lot of issues.

3. trock8501 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi

yes i have rebooted my router

it has a solid white light on it but all i see in my remote "devices" is my "library

so bummed

i guess i can order a new remote but i dont know how to set up a new one nor if it will fix it anyway

thanks

4. 2010mini macrumors 68040

You restored the Apple TV to factory? If so you erased all the settings. The iPhone 5/5s has the ability to do a full set up of the Apple TV by just placing it on the Apple TV and entering some info.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5900

Hope this helps.

5. trock8501 thread starter macrumors newbie

I also tried that but it doesnt work

the Itunes screen is on my TV fine, and my phone and itunes acct on my computer are connected and my iphone actually can control my computer itunes acct

but i cannot get the apple tv to show up in the remote at all

its like itunes is fine on the tv because i see the normal main screen, movies, tv shows etc

but because i cant get to the settings i cant set it up and share it?? its a catch 22 going on here

the apple tv doesnt show up in my remote, but i need my remote to set it up again

i tried setting the phone on the apple tv but nothing happens even after a reboot

i did the factory restore but i thought i could re do the apple tv somehow with a direct connection to the computer but that didnt work or thru the remote app but that isnt working either

i have no idea what to do and have searched a ton of support apple stuff and youtube vids and everything i can find

after a factory default how do you set up the apple tv again if you do not have the origninal remote?

6. twintin macrumors 6502

Only works with ATV3. This guy only has an ATV2.

7. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Has a friend or relative got an atv remote you could borrow just to set up the remote app?

8. trock8501 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey

I broke down and ordered a new apple remote from amazon, should be here in a couple of days

i will try and use that with the apple tv

is there anything i need to do differently with a different remote? i guess since i wiped it it should work

but i am not at the setup screen anymore but the full blown regulard screen so even with an new apple remote i have no idea how to use it with this apple tv?

anyone have step by step or a manual for a new and different apple remote?

thanks!

9. jdblas69 macrumors regular

I think the remote should work straight out of the box. No special setup needed.