Cannot see Shared Files on Vista PC from Mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by glide, Aug 17, 2007.

1. glide macrumors regular

I'm having some trouble seeing shared files from my Vista PC on my Mac. I see all shared folders, I have windows sharing allowed, I have my name added to the list of users, I have edited the lsa registry value from 3 to 1 on the PC. Still nothing.

I can see all files in the "public" folder, but that is the only one that works. I can also see files on the Mac from Vista.

Any ideas? I know this is a Vista security issue, but I can't think of anywhere else to look...

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I am running Vista at work (right now actually) and I have had this problem with other PC's. The workaround I used was to manually dial in the IP of the computer you're trying to connect to. The actual Networking of Vista doesn't want to see our work server or any other computers on the network and believe me, I tried everything!

Hopefully that should work for you. And if I may, I recommend going back to XP, Vista networking is a true mess.

3. glide thread starter macrumors regular

I'll give that a shot when I get home. I'm currently using the UNC path.

It's strange that it seems to resolve, as otherwise I would not be able to connect to the folders.

Anyway, I'll post back if it works. Thanks!

4. nando2323 macrumors 6502a

If I am not mistaken in vista you have to give rights to each folder that is outside of the public folder and make sure that you have "Everyone" listed as to who can view it.

5. glide thread starter macrumors regular

Connecting using the IP didn't work either. I can still see all the foders, but no files...