Cannot select appropriate resolution for external monitor.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Spielmeister, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Spielmeister macrumors newbie

Hi,

Recently I plugged my HD Monitor to my MacBook and the resolution changed (on the external monitor). I went to Display Preferences but I do not get any resolutions above 1600x1200. When I first used this monitor, I could use it at 1920x1080 and now I simply can't.

How can I fix this? I don't know if it's a PRAM issue. I reset it but nothing changed.

I'm using a HP 2309m monitor in VGA mode using the VGA-Mini display port adapter. I use the monitor with a PC in DVI mode, but I never use these connection at the same time.

I noticed something. When I first used this monitor, Mac identified it as HP 2309 when I opened the display preferencies. Now, it only recognizes it as Display.

Thanks in advance.

2. macuser154 macrumors 6502

Hi,

This could mean that the VGA cable you are using is damaged and can't send the EDID tags (these tags keeps stuff like monitor resolution, monitor name etc.) from your monitor to your Mac, hence the resolution not showing up.

Alternatively you could use SwitchResX to manually set the resolution.

3. UpQuark macrumors member

UpQuark

Monitor resolution..

I would also make sure that only one cable is connected to the monitor at the same time. On the monitor side, not the computer side.

4. Spielmeister thread starter macrumors newbie

VGA cable is fine and brand new. I think I know where the problem might be. I am using a third-party mini-displayport to VGA adapter, not the official from Apple. It worked excellent in the beginning and now it is a little sloppy.

Anymore suggestions welcome.

Thanks.