Cannot send email, but receiving is fine

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
I'm on our college network and for some reason, I can't send email in Apple Mail. However receiving is just fine. Is there a specific port I have to open in order for this to work?

Thanks! :)

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
you'll probably have to ask your IT department what port you need open to send mail. it varies from what i've seen.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
i had the same issue but at home when i contacted apple this is what they said
Thank you for contacting Apple.

The first thing we would recommend is to test the account at .Mac Mail Online, <http://webmail.mac.com/>. If that works, then the .Mac services are working correctly.

Sending email using smtp.mac.com fails if your Internet Service Provider (ISP) doesn't allow proper access.

Contact your ISP:

1. Contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP) and make sure the standard port used by most email applications, Port 25, can be used to send email.

It is important to realize that many Internet Service Providers block access to the standard port (Port 25). They are not required to notify their members if they decide to do so. This discourages the sending of unsolicited commercial email or "SPAM". This can make it difficult to send email using an SMTP server other than the one used by your ISP. If an ISP does not allow access to port 25, follow step 2.

2. If your ISP is blocking port 25, you can change the port to 587 and try again. Choose Mail > Preferences, and click Accounts. Select your account, then click the Server Settings button in the Account Information pane. Change the Port from 25 to 587. Click OK, close the Preferences window, and try sending your message again.

3. If you still cannot send mail, use the ISP mail server.
Add the ISP SMTP hostname to the Mac.com account in your email application. This information can be obtained by referring to your ISP mail settings, or contacting the ISP.

Sincerely,

The .Mac Support Team
hope this helps

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
If it's a desktop, it's easier to just give up and go straight to step 3.... this way, you can just apply that SMTP to all current and future e-mail accounts and everything will send. If it's a notebook, it's better to try and use 587 or whatever secure port is defined, since you may end up on other networks that have their own restrictions against outside SMTP service. :(