Cannot Send from gmail IMAP account

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by martyrk, Aug 18, 2008.

1. martyrk macrumors regular

martyrk

I setup my account just fine, and then a few months later added a 2nd account. Both accounts are IMAP, the first account sends fine but the second when trying to send I get, "Cannot Send Mail: The connection to the outgoing server "smtp.gmail.com" failed" and then lists a bunch of options, the first account being listed. I never could send from the second account so I have to send using my first accounts email as the sender which I don't want.

The second account was setup the same way the first one was, is there a setting I have to put in because of both IMAPs?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

No, but you need to make sure that you have the second account setup to use its SMTP account and not the others. If both are Gmail, it can be confusing since the box doesn't show all the details.

TEG

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I have 4 Gmail accounts using IMAP and they all work great, but you do need to make sure you set everything up right.

Mail > Preferences > Accounts > select a Gmail account > Account Information >
    Incoming Mail Server: imap.gmail.com
    Outgoing Mail Server: smtp.gmail.com
    Use only this server: checked​

Mail > Preferences > Accounts > select a Gmail account > Advanced >
    Enable this account: checked
    Include when automatically checking for new mail: checked​

Make sure the settings are the same on both accounts.

4. macdot macrumors 6502

My Gmail goes "offline" once or twice a week for a few hours.

5. automatickyle macrumors regular

Mine has been offline for 2 weeks straight. I am about to ditch this entire application.

6. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Careful about making decisions about mail clients based on how they handle gmail. Search gmail support and you will see there is a LOT of activity in the area of availability, reliability and frozen or crashed clients across multiple operating systems and platforms.

There are techniques that can make your gmail account more accessible to client software such as apple mail. For instance, leaving thousands of messages in your inbox can crush your imap client. It is better to make "tags" and apply them to your older messages. When a client connects to gmail via imap and searches for new mail, it doesn't get bombarded with (possibly tens of thousands of) tagged messages, only the untagged ones are searched.