Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marcellus

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
Branford, CT
I tried to send a text message from my iPad mini to a friend who has an Android smartphone. When I put her mobile number in the send space, it turns red and says "This contact is not registered with iMessage." I then tried to send it to her email address, and received the same message. I am able to send her text messages from my iPhone 4s, but not from my iPad mini. Why is that? Is there a fix for this? Thank you.

Lunfai

macrumors 68000
Nov 21, 2010
Sheffield
I tried to send a text message from my iPad mini to a friend who has an Android smartphone. When I put her mobile number in the send space, it turns red and says "This contact is not registered with iMessage." I then tried to send it to her email address, and received the same message. I am able to send her text messages from my iPhone 4s, but not from my iPad mini. Why is that? Is there a fix for this? Thank you.

iMessage is a iOS feature only, meaning it only works on iPod Touch/iPad/iPhone's. If you want to send 'internet' messages, then download What'sAPP for free (limited time promotion). The reason it works on your iPhone is because you're sending her a standard text message (green bubble, instead of blue).

Marcellus

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
Branford, CT
iMessage is a iOS feature only, meaning it only works on iPod Touch/iPad/iPhone's. If you want to send 'internet' messages, then download What'sAPP for free (limited time promotion). The reason it works on your iPhone is because you're sending her a standard text message (green bubble, instead of blue).

Thanks for the quick reply. I went to What'sApp but it does not look like it supports the iPad: "We currently do not support tablets, computers, or Wi-Fi only devices, and do not plan to do so in the foreseeable future."
http://www.whatsapp.com/faq/en/general/20951556
Do you know of any other app that will allow me to send text messages to non-IOS devices? Thank you again.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
Thanks for the quick reply. I went to What'sApp but it does not look like it supports the iPad: "We currently do not support tablets, computers, or Wi-Fi only devices, and do not plan to do so in the foreseeable future."
http://www.whatsapp.com/faq/en/general/20951556
Do you know of any other app that will allow me to send text messages to non-IOS devices? Thank you again.

TextNow. Sends text messages to any cell phone, tablet, and even computers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.