Cannot send mail

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by EmmaLouise, Nov 9, 2010.

1. EmmaLouise macrumors member

Hi,

I've had a mac for a year now and been happily using mail for my company.... but suddenly I now cannot send any mail....

I haven't changed any settings, plus I contacted fatcow they asked for a screenshot of my settings and they said that they were fine.... they said that someone from their technical dept would contact me in 24 - 48 hours, I don't know too much about computers but if the settings are ok they why has it stopped sending emails?

I also deselected the SSL and it doesn't make a difference...

Please help

Thanks
    Emma

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

If everything else on the internet is working and the settings are correct according to your ISP, then the most likely source of the problem is on their end, in which case dealing with their tech support is going to be your best bet.

If you haven't already tried this, you could of course unplug the power from your DSL/cable modem and/or router, and reboot your Mac; at worst it won't help, and if it's a random network glitch (unlikely but possible if everything else works) this will usually fix it.

3. EmmaLouise thread starter macrumors member

After a whole day of worry and upset ( I turn into an emotional wreck when my comp plays up in any way!) today is a brighter day as my mail is working again!

I had very bad internet connection yesterday, apparently there was a problem in the area, so maybe that had something to do with everything...

I was talking via messages online to the fatcow tech guys all day, they gave me different settings to try..... they also couldn't replicate my problem.... it ended with them saying that I should delete my email account and then reset it, and if that didn't work then to contact apple...luckily I was too drained to deal with that yesterday as it would have been a waste of time!

Today, with the new settings I couldn't even receive mail, so I reverted back to my old ports and sure enough my emails came flooding in! So to try my luck I tried sending and I could send from all 3 email accounts!

So I am happy but also a little worried as I have no idea why it suddenly stopped sending emails for a day!

A quick question;

The only thing that I haven't changed back to the original is the server names;
    Before the incoming server was pop.golfholidays.com and now it is pop.fatcow.com
    Before the outgoing server was smtp.golfholidays.com and now it is smtp.fatcow.com

Should I keep it at fatcow or change back to the golfholidays?

(ps. golf holidays isn't my full company name, I didn't want to be accused of advertising)

Thanks all
    :)

4. EmmaLouise thread starter macrumors member

Just heard back from the tech guys again, apparently it doesn't make a difference whether it is my domain name or fatcow.....

Would have preferred knowing why my mail played up, but at least it is working again now!