Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GBJames

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
Hello: if anyone could help me with this problem, I would be greatly appreciative!

I reset my Buffalo Airstation WHR-G545 router (by holding the INIT button on he bottom). After plugging in the router and ethernet cable, I turned AirPort "on" on my MacBook Pro. I opened Safari and was taken to my university's Internet registration page--necessary to access the school's Internet hardwire network. I registered my account and then had signal from the router just fine, allowing me to access the Internet as usual.

HOWEVER, the network is unprotected. I have tried several times to change the name of the network from 0016014DFD1A to something else and to give it a WEP password. It never saves my modifications under the Network Profiles window.

How do I give this network a password and change its name?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If you're looking to make changes to the buffalo router, you'll probably need to connect your computer directly to the router and not try to access it though apple's router.

Also which router is the DHCP server? If possible and ease of operation, I'd stick with a single router and configure that.

GBJames

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
Sorry if I was unclear: the Buffalo router is directly connected (as in, the ethernet cable comes out of the wall and goes into the Airstation). I get internet and signal fine, but cannot modify the router settings for some reason.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.