Cannot Set-up Mail App

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by brettnussb, Dec 19, 2013.

1. brettnussb macrumors newbie

I recently purchased the newest MacBook Pro & all my software is up to date. I did not use Time Machine from my previous Mac & just added my music/photos from hard drive.

I open up the Mail App and have the option to pick account (iCloud, Yahoo, Google, AOL, etc.). I pick AOL and put in my email address & password and click "Set Up". It then asks me to select the apps to use with my email. My choices are Mail, Messages, and Notes. I only check mail. I click Done and nothing happens. It only shows Inbox & Sent. It does not load in my folders, emails, etc. If I try to send an email, I get the error "This message could not be sent because your account does not have a preferred outgoing mail server. Select an outgoing mail server from the list below."

If I click Quit under the mail tab, it will not quit. If I try to restart my computer, it will say "The Application Mail canceled restart." To Try restarting again, quit Mail & click Try Again". I have left it open to say if it takes some time to load & no luck.

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Follow these suggestions:

1. Open System Preferences->Internet Accounts pane and delete the accounts you setup. Then close the System Preference.

2. Then reopen System Preferences->Internet Accounts pane and add back your Email account setup.

3. Launch Mail and the accounts will be setup correctly (if you added the email account info correctly).

3. brettnussb thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help. I tried to do this, but AOL keeps reappearing.

I have Internet Accounts open and it shows iCloud - Contacts & 6 More, Google - Contacts, AIM - Messages, AOL - Mail, Twitter.

I highlight AOL, click delete and click confirm I want to delete. It removes & is no longer listed. I go to "Quit System Preferences". I reopen System Preferences and when it lists the Accounts in Internet Accounts, AOL is there again.

I tried to do this both with the Mail App open and quit & is the same result for both.

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I wonder if iCloud is saving this info somehow. Try signing out of iCloud and then going back to Internet Account and use the - symbol to delete the account. See if that works. Once you setup those accounts again maybe this will help. At the end of you sign back into iCloud and see if you can replace the info.

5. brettnussb thread starter macrumors newbie

Still no luck. I deleted iCloud from Internet Accounts & it now shows up as ICloud-Inactive.

I delete AOL & it reappears every time I open Internet Accounts back up.