Cannot Setup Apple Pay with Watch + iPhone 5S

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by perfectn64, Apr 24, 2015.

1. perfectn64, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2015

perfectn64 macrumors newbie

EDIT: I found the problem. My region format was not set to United States. I had to go into the Apple Watch app on my iPhone 5S > General > Language & Region > Region > United States. Once I set that, the Passbook option changed to say Passbook & Apple Pay. So it does work! Just make sure you have the correct region!

Received my 42 Blue Sport Watch this morning. Delighted with it so far, but just still trying to get used to all the new options, apps and notifications etc.

I have an iPhone 5S, so I was eager to try setup Apple Pay on the Watch, but I've been unable to figure it out.

On the Apple site: https://www.apple.com/watch/apple-pay/ It says the following:

"Setup is simple.
    To set up your credit and debit cards on Apple Watch, simply open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone and select the "Passbook & Apple Pay" option. Tap "Add a Credit or Debit Card.""

However in the Apple Watch app on my 5S there is no "Passbook & Apple Pay" option, I only see "Passbook" and when I go into it there's no mention of Apple Pay. (You can see what the screen says in the attached image)

Has anyone else with a 5/5C/5S been able to setup Apple Pay?

Attached Files:

2. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

3. daverobeson macrumors newbie

Just a thought...

Do you have Touch ID set up? Pretty sure that's required.

4. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

+1

Yep, you have to have an iPhone 6 or 6+

5. digduggler macrumors 6502

This is highly disappointing if there is no support. The Watch has everything necessary to use Apply Pay and should just sync the info over even if you don't have an iPhone 6.

6. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

It says its compatible with iPhone 5 and later on the same page

Attached Files:

7. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

No - the iPhone 5S (and older) do not have the appropriate hardware, including the NFC antennae to be able to facilitate Apple Pay.

This was stated long ago when the watch and iPhone 6 were each launched.

----------

Compatible, yes, supporting Apple Pay, NO!

8. Colonel Badger macrumors 6502

The WATCH provides NFC.. Apple clearly stated Apple Pay is available for iPhone 5 and above.

9. BrettDS macrumors 65816

Do you have a passcode set up on the watch? I think that may be a requirement too.

10. digduggler macrumors 6502

You do not need the phone to use Apple Pay with the watch (aka you can pay with no watch in your pocket etc). Their own marketing material touts this in the Guided Tours.

11. MojoRisinSD macrumors regular

It does support Apple Pay. Use the Passbook/Apple Pay app WITHIN the Apple Watch setup app.

12. daverobeson macrumors newbie

Apple Pay is supposed to work

It requires NFC and the secure element, both of which the Watch has. The iPhone is only used to set things up, the info is stored on the watch. (Once it's set up, you can even use the Watch for Apple Pay if you don't have your phone on you.) So you should be able to set up Apple Pay on the Watch with any iPhone it's compatible with (down to the 5).

13. CodeSpyder macrumors 6502a

CodeSpyder

You don't need a nfc reader on the iPhone because AppleWatch has its own nfc reader.

14. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

If that's the case then he needs to select CUSTOM on the watch instead of MIRROR iPHONE option to set it up.

15. susan12369 macrumors 6502

I have an iPhone 5S and was able to set it up without issue. I didn't do anything except follow the instructions in the user guide.

16. hthodges macrumors newbie

From the Apple Watch User Guide:

Set up Apple Pay on Apple Watch. Even if you’ve already set up Apple Pay on iPhone using the Passbook app, you need to add the credit or debit cards to use on Apple Watch. Have your credit or debit card handy, then open the Apple Watch app on iPhone. Tap My Watch, tap Passbook & Apple Pay, tap Add Credit or Debit Card, then tap Next. If you have a supported credit or debit card on file with iTunes or the App Store, enter the card’s security code. Otherwise, use the iPhone camera to capture the information on your credit or debit card, then fill in any additional information needed, including the card security code. Note that your card issuer may require additional steps to verify your identity. If so, choose a verification option, tap Verify, then tap Enter Code to complete verification.

17. susan12369 macrumors 6502

I did not have to change that setting, it still shows as Mirror my iPhone.

18. sterl320 macrumors 6502

you actually can use Apple Pay with the watch if its paired with a 5s.

19. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

So many people here have no idea what they're talking about.

20. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

You have a passcode enabled right? Do you use Touch ID?

Have you looked in the regular settings app to see if you can add a card there first?

Then wouldnt the page say compatible with iPhone 6 and 6 plus.

21. perfectn64 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the suggestions! I actually figured out it was the Language & Region format needed to be set to United States. I edited my post above.

But everyone can rest easy that Apple Pay does work with the 5S!

22. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

Yep, you're right - I was mistaken.

The 5 /5c / 5s will all support Apple Pay as long as you have a watch (which has the NFC antennae), they don't support it without an Apple Watch.

https://www.apple.com/apple-pay/

23. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Geez, people were scaring me, one of the biggest reasons I bought the Watch was that it would work with my iPhone 5. Glad to see that's the case.

About 3 hours left now, till I get my watch, so I can test it out myself :D

24. gmann21133 macrumors member

gmann21133

You do not have to have an iPhone 6, the 5S will work. It cannot mirror your phone so I'm guess you have to choose custom.