Cannot Shut Down iMac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by springyfox, Jan 26, 2010.

1. springyfox macrumors member

Hi All

I was unsure where to post this as it could be either OSX or hardware that is the problem. I am currently unable to shutdown my 2008 Alu iMac. Everytime I shut it down, it restarts instead.

After a little bit of searching the forums/google, I understand that this may be something to do with a driver or application that is refusing to close properly - but have no idea how to try and identify what may be causing it.

Help!

Tom

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

You should be able to press and hold power to shut down. The next time the system starts up, you will get prompted to "send to Apple" (though that's mostly automatic under Snow Leopard). If you are under warranty or Applecare and you call Apple, they can pull up the crash log your system just sent in and they should be able to help you. Sometimes they will ask you to create a new log for them by going to system profiler and picking "File->Send to Apple".

3. springyfox thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunately I am no longer under warranty or Apple Care.

Your power button suggestion is how I've been shutting it down - letting it "restart" and powering down just as it is about to boot up again!

Is there anyway of discovering for myself what may be causing it? I'm fairly sure it must be an application/driver issue.

4. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

Try looking for a way to reset the SMC that's in your iMac. Look on Google for something along the lines of "SMC Reset Intel iMac" or try searching Apple's Support pages. The SMC handles sleep and other things.