Cannot Shut Down

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by yoda138, Feb 7, 2008.

1. yoda138 macrumors newbie

yoda138

I am using a macBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and 4GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM, however I cannot shut down ever. Need to use the Power Button. This is unacceptable. I see there are no programs running except for Finder. The top menu bar disappears, but nothing happens for the longest time. Please help.

2. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

you are going o the apple icon and it will not shut down? Double check that no programs are really running, go to activity monitor and make sure. However an application running should not prevent shutting down.

3. yoda138 thread starter macrumors newbie

yoda138

No appl running

No, applications are running. I have checked in Force Quit (except for Finder) and even in activity monitor:eek:

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

have you tried repairing disk permissions (the fix all for macs)?

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

are you using Leopard? sometimes Leopard takes a while to shutdown just wait it out. if it is freezing on shutdown boot into safe mode by holding shift at startup to clear the kext caches and then repair permissions.

6. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

If all else fails... unplug it, pull out the battery and off it'll go... had to do that once or twice in my life but it always works

7. yoda138 thread starter macrumors newbie

yoda138

Battery? No battery....

No not the battery...pls...anything but that...

As for permissions...went to disk utility and it did whatever it was supposed to. Alas, no use.

Will try to use 'shift', but do not know how to proceed from there...esp when it comes to permissions.:eek:

8. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

I've been fighting with an iMac today at work that has exactly the same issue. I've not solved it yet (not enough spare time today), but I've found a lot of things that it isn't ;)

Last time I saw this problem, it was a networking issue - unmounting remote drives before shutdown solved it. This time, however, that isn't helping.

My guess is that there's a background process hanging on shutdown. I'm beginning to suspect that Parallels might be the culprit in our case, but come Monday I'm going to go through the system with a fine tooth comb to see what in the way of third-party kernel extensions have been installed...

If I find anything definite, I'll post it back to this thread.

9. yoda138 thread starter macrumors newbie

yoda138

Many many thanks Tersono...yes you have given me food for thought...we use remote drives in the school where I work and the drives do get logged in, but at home, a dialog box comes on saying it cannot find it. So I simply click on the 'OK' button.

Could this be the issue? If so, I have no clue how to stop this at home. Maybe I should go to school and see if I can shut down....Silly. How can this piece of ART be so 'dumb'...I love my macbook pro....

Besides, 'SHIFT' on start up did not do anything but hang the computer on start up....

yes I do use MACOS X

10. crazypeter macrumors member

How did you guys shut down

I also have a Mac Book Pro and cannot shut it down via the Apple (top right in the menu bar) or the Power Button. I do not connect to any networks. My Activity Monitor says the that the "kernel_task" is 1 to 3 % CPU, WindowServer 4 %, pmTool 1 %. Additionally, after I first had the problem, I looked at System Preferences, opened "Accounts" and clicked on "Login Items"; the latter is not responding and in the Activity Monitor both "System Preferences" and "loginwindow" are shown in red as "Not Responding". Some of the other items under the Apple do not work either, nor doe the Alt + Control+ esc. Other that that the computer seems to be working OK. I initially tried to restart because everything was exceedingly slow. Can anybody advise me please?
    A last thought, I have recently added Yahoo Messenger: although I have quit that.

11. crazypeter macrumors member

I can now shut down

In the Activity Monitor I double clicked on loginwindow and then was able to quit it, I got a dialogue box saying that that would log me out, but it did not, the screen cleared and then everything came back and I was able to reboot!!!

12. crazypeter macrumors member

I think that the problem may have been that I had stopped a download and not put it in the trashcan, it was some time after I had done that and emptied the trashcan that I was able to restart my mac.

13. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

How long did you wait on the "safe boot". Safe boot takes much longer than a normal boot because it is doing a lot of work: file system checking (fsck in Unix terms) and repairing, clearing out caches, etc. It may look like it is hung but may not be. For file system checking, remember, that there are hundreds of thousands of small files (Unix) and this process alone takes considerable time. When you do a safe boot, you only need to hold the shift key down when you first hear the bong, until you see the spinning gear on the gray screen. You can then release the shift key. From this point it could take 10 - 15 minutes before you see a login screen with "safe boot enabled" in red. A normal reboot at that time should be much shorter.

14. silentio macrumors newbie

yoda138, did you manage to solve this problem? I'm having a similar one with my MBA and can't find a solution.

15. AndersLin macrumors newbie

How to shut down a new Mac Macbook

Thanks everyone,

I could not shut down my new Macbook. I had unfinished downloads. I dragged all downloads to the trash, emptied the trash, removed and reinserted the battery and voila, my Macbook is as new again!!!