Cannot start my Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by britwayne, Sep 27, 2011.

1. britwayne macrumors newbie

Is there anyone who can shed a little light on my problem.

My Macbook Pro was having a problem shutting down, so i did a force quit. However it hasnt come back on. I get just the startup sound, Apple symbol with a time bar underneath which when it gets to 30-40 seconds just turns itself off. I have treid startingup in Verbose mode, resetting the PRAMand starting in Single user mode where i get lots of Incorrect Block count messages and that the Volume cannot be verified completely. The computer then turns itself off again. Is there anything esle i can try?

Is this a hard disk issue... a new hard disk required?

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

More than likely to be a hard drive issue. If you have a backup of your data on that drive, then all you need to do is buy a new one, swap it in (DIY instructions at www.ifixit.com) and restore from the backup.

3. misee macrumors member

I had the same problem some time ago. I followed following steps:
    • Boot from installation DVD and start Disk Utility
    • Try repairing the volume (didn't work for me)
    • Reformat the HD
    After that, I installed a clean system and everything works again. So before buying a new HD, try following the same steps I did.

4. schemula macrumors newbie

I'm having similar issues after some sort of EFI or Thunderbolt update.

I booted with a DVD and repaired the hard drive which was showing count errors after I was forced to shut it down, and now it just gets to gray apple screen and spins infinitely.

Right now I blame Lion, not my hardware, but, who knows. Lion has been a bag of hurt, regardless.