Cannot sync MPEG-4 to iPhone 3G iOS 3.1.2

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GregPQ, Oct 29, 2011.

1. GregPQ macrumors regular

GregPQ

Hi,
    I'm wondering if my old 3G running iOS 3.1.2 is incapable of playing the video in question, which I subscribed to in iTunes University. It is the Planète Terre series from the University of Montreal and comes in MPEG-4. When I tried to drag to my iPhone, the error msg said that it was not copied to my iPhone "because it cannot be played on this iPhone".

I went ahead and tried Advanced|Create iPod or iPhone version. It did show a conversion progress bar for quite a while, but I did not see a second version created. I was under the impression that an iPhone could play a MPEG-4 file and that no conversion would be necessary.

Thanks,
    Greg

2. AdrianK, Oct 29, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2011

AdrianK macrumors 68020

Yes, but there's sub-restrictions for that as well (bitrate, resolution, profile, audio etc). By any chance, was this an HD podcast?

You will most likely find the converted version somewhere in your Music/iTunes/iTunes Media folder.

EDIT: Looking at the file, I believe it's the fact that it was encoded with 3 reference frames that's making it non-compliant for iOS devices pre-A4.

3. GregPQ thread starter macrumors regular

GregPQ

Thanks, Adrian. Wow. I appreciate such a quick--and definitive--reply.

I am finding that more and more Apps will not play on iOS 3 either.

Another argument in favor of upgrading to 4S, I suppose.

Thanks again.

Greg