Cannot transfer files to my External HD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mattbull, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Mattbull macrumors member

I have an iomega external HD. When ever I try to transfer files from my mac internal HD I get the message "the Item could not be moved because "iomega HDD" cannot be modified." This HD works fine with windows, but is doesn't seem compatible with my mac. Any way to fix?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What format (file system) does it use then?

Either check via Get Info in Finder or Disk Utility.

[​IMG]

It probably uses NTFS, see below for more information:

MRoogle is a good tool to search these fora for already existing threads about the same issue and may solve your problem.

3. 123macman macrumors member

Plug the external HD into your mac and then open disk utility. Make sure all the files on the HD ARE BACKED UP then erase the hd in disk utility and reformat it. If you want it to work with a mac and windows chose fat 32 but if you only need it to work with a mac choose Mac os extended journal. Remember if you do this and choose fat 32 you can only transfer files no bigger that 4gb for each file. That is the only downside.

Hope this helps

and i did not mean to repeat "spinnerlys" he posted as i was typing this. :)

4. Mattbull thread starter macrumors member

thanks for your help. I am currently operating in "journaled."I have about 2tb on my external hd and transfering/retransfering would kind of be a pain. Is there any other way to get the hd compatible with my mac other than reformatting my external HD?

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Your external HDD is formatted in the "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" format?
    If so, your Mac should be capable of writing to it, as the quoted message in my first post suggests.

Have you taken a look at GET INFO > Sharing & Permissions and seen, if your user is included there and has the appropriate rights.