Cannot type or move mouse - login screen

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by rsnapeuk, Jan 12, 2017.

1. rsnapeuk macrumors regular

Hi all!

When I boot my machine, or wake from sleep mode the standard login screen loads but keyboard and mouse are unresponsive, they do nothing! Then a few minutes later (usually about five) notifications start to come through, and then keyboard and mouse work.

Anyone experienced this issue, or might have an idea for potential resolution?

About my Mac:

[​IMG]
    Many thanks!

2. Dsching Suspended

Dsching

Try putting in an ssd instead of the hdd.

3. chrfr macrumors 603

I would suggest starting by running software update and installing the 10.12.2 update. From there, the problem may be resolved.

4. Zeusus macrumors member

Zeusus

I remember an issue like this in the past. Apparently it was caused by Adobe Acrobat. I cannot remember the fix. Just sayin'...

5. ilandmac macrumors member

ilandmac

Note : this is only with a bunch of external drives

I've had that problem with 10.12 . I would go in crazy mode and try everything I could think of.
    Updating to 10.11 or .12 solved it. Basically (for me anyway) the more external drives you have
    connected, the longer it will take for mouse and keyboard to respond ( I have 10) since the Mac
    will take inventory of every drive connected and with Raid drives spooling up, it takes about
    6 seconds now. Booting the Mac by itself with nothing connected there is no delay other then
    waiting for the chime.

Ilandmac

6. rsnapeuk thread starter macrumors regular

Hi, thanks for replying - appreciated. I'll give the upgrade a go and see how that goes. Although I don't have any external hard drives.

7. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

You have 10 (!) external drives connected? OK.

But you do realize that this is far away from a normal use case?