Cannot un-jailbreak iPhone 4S and then upgrade to iOS 5.1

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by rochellemilke, May 16, 2012.

1. rochellemilke macrumors newbie

My apologies if this thread is redundant. I've been on a monotonous search for a fix in other threads and have found that no other posters are experiencing the exact same situation as I am. If a similar thread has already been created/discussed, please point me in the right direction!

Problem: Cannot un-jailbreak iPhone and then Upgrade to iOS 5.1
    Phone Specs: iPhone 4S, currently jailbroken (via redsn0w), iOS 5.0.1
    Error message: "The iPhone **** cannot be restored at this time because the iPhone software update server could not be contacted or is temporarily unavailable."

I've been attempting to un-jailbreak and then update my iPhone 4S to iOS 5.1 for the past 28 hours or so. At first, I took this error message as though the Apple server was overloaded. I waited some time, tried again - same error message. First attempts were made while at work, connected via Ethernet. I followed advice that said to flush my laptop's DNS cache - no luck. I attempted to update over the air, through my iPhone specifically - no luck. Attempted restoring through iTunes - same error message. Downloaded the .ipsw (tried both 5.0.1 and 5.1 .ipsw's) and tried to manually restore - same error message. I then assumed that my network at work had a firewall, so I attempted all of this again at home (both through iTunes and over the air, through iTunes and manually)... Still to no avail and always received the same error message.

I've reset my network settings on my iPhone, have tried setting my DNS server on both my phone and laptop to google's public DNS (8.8.8.8) and then OpenDNS (208.67.222.222) and it still didn't work in any of those scenarios. I've checked my host files in the Terminal app and everything seems to be written fine... Please see below for what my host file looks like, and let me know if there is something that should be changed:

127.0.0.1 localhost
    255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
    ::1 localhost
    fe80::1%lo0 localhost

The last one looks a little funky, but I can't seem to find any other threads that explain any localhost address that's similar to this. Therefore, I don't know if that needs to be changed or not.

If there's anyone that can send along advice or realizes what I'm doing incorrectly, I'd really appreciate the insight! Just an FYI... I'm not trying to un-jailbreak and update to iOS 5.1 for any reason in particular. Having my phone jailbroken just isn't essential for me, and I'd really like to revert back to normal iPhone settings for a little while. All help is welcome!

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

If you saved 5.1 or 5.0.1 hashes you can restore it using newest Redsn0w.
    If not, your choice is 5.1.1

3. rochellemilke thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm okay with restoring to 5.1.1, since that's essentially what I'm aiming to do anyway. Since my original post, I've been going through the steps of downloading the newest Redsn0w but now, when I get to the point of selecting the IPSW I want to use, it keeps telling me that that specific IPSW is not compatible with the version of Redsn0w I downloaded (Redsn0w 9.11 beta 4).

I'm still very much, thoroughly lost as to what to do. I've download TinyUmbrella, too, to make sure that my hosts were NOT set to Cydia, and they are not. I really just want a factory restore to 5.0.1, then to upgrade to 5.1.1... Or a straight restore to 5.1.1! :(

4. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

If doing a restore to current firmware, just use iTunes

5. rochellemilke thread starter macrumors newbie

That's the problem. I had assumed it'd be that easy. But no matter what I've done or tried to do, I keep getting the error message mentioned in my first post:

"The iPhone **** cannot be restored at this time because the iPhone software update server could not be contacted or is temporarily unavailable."

----------

Additionally, when I have TinyUmbrella open and the TSS server running and THEN try to restore to my downloaded IPSW, it comes up with a new unknown error message, error 1600. Any thoughts here? Should I be leaving TU open and the TSS server running while restoring my phone?

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

7. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Is host file pointed at Apple ?
    Use Advanced Tab in TinyUmbrella to uncheck point host at Cydia

8. Netherscourge macrumors 6502

5.1.1 is only a week or two away from getting Jailbroken itself.

The 4S is already confirmed to work with POD2G's untehtered JB.

I would either stay put or upgrade to 5.1.1 and enjoy the much better battery life until the JB comes out.

:)

9. rochellemilke thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried restoring from 2 other computers as well... Still no success, and same exact error messages came up. Makes me wonder if something is tweaked internally on my iPhone that's causing the problems.

----------

Yes, host file is pointed toward apple. I've already unchecked "point host at Cydia" within TinyUmbrella. I still get the same error message.

----------

Upgrading to 5.1.1 is exactly what I want, mainly for the better battery life. All the problems I'm facing are coming up while trying to upgrade to 5.1.1. :( It's like my phone has a mind of it's own and just doesn't want to be un-jailbroken and/or have 5.1.1 on it... :confused:

10. BlueRaider macrumors regular

Have tried putting the phone into DFU Mode prior to restoring in iTunes? It sounds like your trying to restore to 5.1 or some lower firmware which isn't being signed anymore.

11. rochellemilke thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup! Had my phone in DFU, as well. And my apologies! By 5.1, I've been meaning to say 5.1.1.

12. newdeal macrumors 68020

Are you using windows or osx? I have had some weird restore issues in the past that were fixed by using a windows machine to restore instead of a Mac

13. noiceT macrumors 6502a

Is your itunes updated to the latest?

enter gs.apple.com in your browser. what page do you see? You may need to clear your cache.

14. rochellemilke thread starter macrumors newbie

For the record, I'm on a Macbook Pro. Using OS X Snow Leopard (10.6.8). I have the latest version of iTunes downloaded.

@ noiceT - when I type in gs.apple.com into my browser, it has an apple-based page that comes up that says: "Hmm, the page you're looking for can't be found."

Also, to note, I've cleared my cache numerous times, with no luck, of course. :mad:

15. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

For current firmware, you want host file pointing to Apple.
    So this part is correct.

16. noiceT macrumors 6502a

That's good. That means your hosts file is pointing to Apple, and not Cydia. (if it was still pointing to cydia, the cydia site would appear when you enter gs.apple.com)

17. newdeal macrumors 68020

Use a windows machine to restore it I bet it will work no problem

18. rahulraman macrumors newbie

Ok so i had the same issue, until i figured something from another forum. I don't know if this will fix it for you but worth a try. When undoing the checkbox on TinyUmbrella and checking if the TSS is accepting connection, you have to make sure that iTunes is not running, and after configuring TinyUmbrella, reboot device. Then try and restore.

I kept running into issues until i tried this. Small point, i know but, try,