Cannot uninstall trial version of Office: Mac 2008

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Florissi, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Florissi macrumors newbie

Followed all instructions, trail version detected but after a few minutes the message "cannot uninstall: you are probably not logged in as administrator"

Fact is that I AM the administrator, actually I am the only user of this iMac...

Can anyone help? I just bought a full boxed business version of Office and I cannot install it before removing the trial version.:mad:

2. unixperience macrumors regular

try getting a uninstall program. I use AppCleaner, it's completely free which is always a plus, and works great.
    It get's rid of the app, and associated files (plist, xml, etc) Maybe give that a go see how it works

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

AppCleaner is actually one of the least effective app removers:

Best way to FULLY DELETE a program?

4. Florissi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Unixperience and GGJstudios

Actually, later on I realized that DESPITE saying that it could not remove the trial version, it actually DID remove it, it's just not there anymore...

Funny, I've always been told that I would never see such weird behavior once I left the Bill Gates' realm... :confused:

I'll try installing the boxed version now (should I try to cleanup with one of these applications before?), I'll cry for help again if it doesn't work.

Thanks for your prompt help.:cool:

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Technically you were still impacted by Bill Gates realm ;). That uninstaller is a Microsoft product not an apple product. Many OSX programs only need to be dragged to the trash to uninstall. MS decided to go the installer route and of course the uninstaller. Don't blame apple for MS's buggy weird behavior

6. Florissi thread starter macrumors newbie

You've got a point there! :)