Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mais78

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2014
I am running windows 10 and would like to update to the latest drivers released in the summer. The issue is that when i launch the bootcamp assistant I don't get the usual "Select task" window with the 3 tasks, I get a window to restore disk to a single volume, i.e. delete windows. I am using El Capitan.

What do I do wrong? Thanks

Mais78

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2014
I went to Windows and there is no such a thing as driver update in the Bootcamp control panel.
I know I have to update in Windows environment, but the drivers are to be downloaded to a Usb in OSX environment and the latter is the bit that does not work.

Mais78

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2014
I went to Windows and there is no such a thing as driver update in the Bootcamp control panel.
I know I have to update in Windows environment, but the drivers are to be downloaded to a Usb in OSX environment and the latter is the bit that does not work.
Found it, its in Apple Software Update

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Launch your Boot Camp Assistant.
Go to the Action menu "Download Windows support software"
Browse to your USB drive (formatted FAT32 should be the least trouble for Windows.), and click the button to download.
Run the resulting software (while booted to Windows) to update your drivers.

The Apple Software Update should verify that you are up to date (or not)

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Found it, its in Apple Software Update
Yep. Apple software update for Windows.
Update your driver here.
You can also extract the downloaded package for backup purpose and avoid downloading it again.

Mais78

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2014
Yep. Apple software update for Windows.
Update your driver here.
You can also extract the downloaded package for backup purpose and avoid downloading it again.

I downloaded but the Updater could not install, I get this error message

2015-11-01 23_44_01-Start.png

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Like I said I don't have such option...

Actually, you didn't say that. You said that you don't have the normal 3 options to select a task. My question was about the top menus in the Boot Camp Assistant, and not the screen itself.
You don't have an "Action" menu in your Boot Camp Assistant? When you are booted to OS X? (just in case :D )

Anyway - Sounds like your Win 10 system needs some attention, too...

This article might be helpful, too (use the info when you are booted to Windows, of course)
http://web.archive.org/web/20140723131402/http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3704

Mais78

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2014
Actually, you didn't say that. You said that you don't have the normal 3 options to select a task. My question was about the top menus in the Boot Camp Assistant, and not the screen itself.
You don't have an "Action" menu in your Boot Camp Assistant? When you are booted to OS X? (just in case :D )

This article might be helpful, too (use the info when you are booted to Windows, of course)
Got you, thanks

Mais78

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2014

Thanks again, I tried with the Action menu and I managed to download the files to the USB key, but then when I install them I get the same error message (see my other post) I get with the other procedure.

Is your article the solution? What exactly I have to do? Uninstall Bootcamp 5 before installing 6?
Thanks

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The article that I linked is a possible help for a fix, but may not be a complete solution.
The main point is, I think you need to repair your Win10 system. Something has gone wrong with Windows. The issue that you have installing some apps and drivers is a symptom, and you might have a similar error if you tried to install anything else, too. This is _unrelated_ to your Boot Camp issues, and is simply a problem with Windows 10.
Find out how to repair a Windows 10 system. If it is anything like Win 7, if you boot to your Windows installer, you should see a choice to attempt a repair of your Windows.

You may end up reinstalling Win 10, or maybe removing the Win 10 Boot Camp partition (using the Boot Camp Assistant while booted to OS X.) Boot Camp Assistant should give you the choice to remove the existing Windows partition, which will revert to a single partition (and Windows will be completely gone.) Run Boot Camp Assistant again, and setup a new partition/reinstall Windows 10, etc. You shouldn't need to do that, unless the Windows repair (booting to the Win 10 installer) does not fix your issue. If you have important files on your Win 10 system, you will want to back up what you want to save before removing the partition, which also removes anything that you don't have saved or backed up to an external drive, etc.

Mais78

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2014
Thanks, more complicated than I expected. I got my W10 free copy as a beta tester of the same. Not sure how to reinstall, I don't have a product key. Will find out.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You don't need a product key to boot to the Win10 installer, where you can run a Windows repair.
I expect the pre-release beta copies won't install now, unless you do purchase a key, but you can boot to that installer to try a Windows repair. The choice for that will be at the screen where you would select your Windows system partition. And, you won't be reinstalling the windows system, just running a repair. That may fix your issue completely, and worth a try.

Mais78

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2014
13rf13rf1fr3f13r
You don't need a product key to boot to the Win10 installer, where you can run a Windows repair.
I expect the pre-release beta copies won't install now, unless you do purchase a key, but you can boot to that installer to try a Windows repair. The choice for that will be at the screen where you would select your Windows system partition. And, you won't be reinstalling the windows system, just running a repair. That may fix your issue completely, and worth a try.

Not sure what is the "Windows Installer". I have upgraded my pre-release copy to the final release as I was entitled to get it for free (just as all beta testers). If I reboot and press Alt I get the two drive icons, OSX and Windows, not sure if i should have another one with this Windows Installer.

Why not try the Restore function within Windows 10? Is there any issue with that? It will mess with my OSX partition?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The Windows Installer is the ISO that you downloaded to get the Win10.
You would have copied that to a flash drive, or maybe an external hard drive, and is the media that you used to install your pre-release beta for Windows 10.
You can boot to that NOW, and you should see the option on the first screen to repair your Windows partition.

I am probably way off on that, however. I searched around for "Repair install for Windows 10" and found this article.
There's a video there, showing you the steps involved for a repair install.
That looks better than what I was trying to tell you - and likely works, too :D

Mais78

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2014
The Windows Installer is the ISO that you downloaded to get the Win10.
You would have copied that to a flash drive, or maybe an external hard drive, and is the media that you used to install your pre-release beta for Windows 10.
You can boot to that NOW, and you should see the option on the first screen to repair your Windows partition.

I am probably way off on that, however. I searched around for "Repair install for Windows 10" and found this article.
There's a video there, showing you the steps involved for a repair install.
That looks better than what I was trying to tell you - and likely works, too :D

I did something very simple, I just hit the Reset button from within Windows and in 15 mins i had a fresh copy of Win10 installed, no Iso and product key needed. Then I spent all night reinstalling everything else..
Bootcamp 6 installed manually without that problem and now i can finally drive my Dell 4k monitor.
Thanks

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I did something very simple, I just hit the Reset button from within Windows and in 15 mins i had a fresh copy of Win10 installed, no Iso and product key needed. Then I spent all night reinstalling everything else..
Bootcamp 6 installed manually without that problem and now i can finally drive my Dell 4k monitor.
Thanks
Oh, yes. For consumer desktop Windows 10 there is an option called "reset". You can try to do it when system goes terribly wrong. Note that you will lose all your data in progress, however.

Glad to see that your issue has been solved, in a way possibly not the best but valid. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.