Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abdulhaq

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2013
I cannot update the Lion O/S in my mid 2007 Macbook. After repeatedly trying to download the 2.06 GB of update data I get the following message:

The update "Mac OS X Update Combined" can't be saved.

The update could not be verified. It may have been corrupted during downloading. The update will be downloaded and checked again the next time that Software Update runs.

I am using Airport Extreme and Airport Express on my wireless network and I have a good connection speed. I have been able to update the other items such as Garageband, iphoto, iweb etc. Kindly help me to update the operating system.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Your Macbook is too old to run Mavericks, Yosemite or future OS releases. You have to stay with the older big cat releases or get a newer Mac.

OS X Mavericks: System Requirements
Learn about the system requirements for OS X Mavericks.

To install Mavericks, you need one of these Macs:

iMac (Mid-2007 or later)
MacBook (13-inch Aluminum, Late 2008), (13-inch, Early 2009 or later)
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid-2009 or later),
MacBook Pro (15-inch or 17-inch, Mid/Late 2007 or later)
MacBook Air (Late 2008 or later)
Mac mini (Early 2009 or later)
Mac Pro (Early 2008 or later)
Xserve (Early 2009)
Your Mac also needs:

OS X Mountain Lion, Lion, or Snow Leopard v10.6.8 already installed
2 GB or more of memory
8 GB or more of available space

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5842?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

realitydroid

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2014
Your Macbook is too old to run Mavericks, Yosemite or future OS releases. You have to stay with the older big cat releases or get a newer Mac.

OS X Mavericks: System Requirements
Learn about the system requirements for OS X Mavericks.

To install Mavericks, you need one of these Macs:

iMac (Mid-2007 or later)
MacBook (13-inch Aluminum, Late 2008), (13-inch, Early 2009 or later)
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid-2009 or later),
MacBook Pro (15-inch or 17-inch, Mid/Late 2007 or later)
MacBook Air (Late 2008 or later)
Mac mini (Early 2009 or later)
Mac Pro (Early 2008 or later)
Xserve (Early 2009)
Your Mac also needs:

OS X Mountain Lion, Lion, or Snow Leopard v10.6.8 already installed
2 GB or more of memory
8 GB or more of available space

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5842?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

That has absolutely nothing to do with what he was saying. He's talking about a security update for Lion that wouldn't download.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I cannot update the Lion O/S in my mid 2007 Macbook. After repeatedly trying to download the 2.06 GB of update data I get the following message:

The update "Mac OS X Update Combined" can't be saved.

The update could not be verified. It may have been corrupted during downloading. The update will be downloaded and checked again the next time that Software Update runs.

I am using Airport Extreme and Airport Express on my wireless network and I have a good connection speed. I have been able to update the other items such as Garageband, iphoto, iweb etc. Kindly help me to update the operating system.

Let's try two things.

First, hold command-r when booting to get to recovery. Start Disk Utility and run a repair disk on your drive. Does that show any errors.

Next rather than trying to update through software update, download the update direct from here and if that can complete without corruption.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.