Cannot update my mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sirkification, Apr 15, 2011.

1. sirkification macrumors newbie

Hi everyone
    My macbook pro cannot update anymore. Ever since I got my hardrive replaced it will not update (I went through an apple reseller). My current version is 10.6.7 only because I downloaded it through the apple website. When I click "software update" I get a pop up (refer to attachment). So i click network diagnostics and everything is fine but it tells me to restart my modem, which I have numerous times but nothing has changed. I havent had my mac updated for the past month or so.

What can I do, I don't want to be spending a $70 fee for the experts to have a look at it. I need my computer for school

Attached Files:

2. simsaladimbamba

Have you tried it via Ethernet or even another, even temporarily created, admin/user account?

3. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

Are you updating over a home network or organisation network?

Many organisations block ports and/or domains which can prevent download from the update servers. Have you tried another WiFI network?

4. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

That domain doesn't look quite right. Try opening "/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app", running the two below commands (just copy & paste then press enter) and post the results here:

Code:
    [FONT=monospace]/usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c Print /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist
    [/FONT]
    Code:
    [/FONT][FONT=monospace]/usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c Print ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist

5. sirkification thread starter macrumors newbie

ok the first code I pasted this came up:

Kris-mac:~ Kris$ /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c Print /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist
    Dict {
    LastSuccessfulDate = Sun Feb 03 12:11:45 EST 2011
    CatalogURL = http://slupdate.acmp.com.au:8088/index-leopard-snowleopard.merged-1.sucatalog
    lastDownloadError = Dict {
    userInfo = Dict {
    NSLocalizedDescription = This computer’s Internet connection appears to be offline.
    NSErrorFailingURLStringKey = http://swcdn.apple.com/content/down...4ncm5ZsBLhfMj4PKnr5SbBTwxVQBrJjt/iWeb_302.pkg
    }
    code = -1009
    domain = NSURLErrorDomain
    }
    LastResultCode = 100
    LastAttemptDate = Sun Apr 17 16:21:32 EST 2011
    }
    Kris-mac:~ Kris$

Then when I do the second one:

Kris-mac:~ Kris$ /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c Print ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist
    Dict {
    WebKitDefaultFontSize = 11
    WebKitStandardFont = Lucida Grande
    }
    Kris-mac:~ Kris$

This is my personal laptop that I use for home and school. I am trying to update it through my home wifi. I did the network diagonistics again and it said that the internet is fine but the address may be wrong, whats the right address and how do I change it?

6. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

Your internet connection is fine, the domain your pointing at ("slupdate.acmp.com.au") just doesn't resolve to anything. Honestly, I'm not even sure why your system is configured to use that as a software update point. What I would suggest doing is renaming the file "/Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist" to something like "/Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist.broken" and let the system regenerate a clean copy and see if it helps. You may need to reboot after renaming it before a new one will be created.

7. calderone, Apr 17, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2011

calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

You mentioned getting your hard drive replaced. The shop pointed your machine at their internal SUS which provide for faster updates. They probably just forgot to remove it.

This line in terminal will take care of it.

Code:
    defaults delete /Library/Preferences/com.apple.softwareupdate CatalogURL
    Do not put .plist in the path. You can also delete the entire plist. There will be no harm and it will resume checking against Apple.