Cannot upgrade OS X 10.0.4

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Norman Burr, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Norman Burr macrumors newbie

I have a G3 blue and grey tower with two disks inside, one of 6Gb and the other 28Gb. The smaller one is running 10.0.4 and I wish to upgrade to Tiger. This comes on a DVD and, as the G3 has no DVD drive, I am running the install disk in a Lacie DVD drive with USB connection. However it is proving impossible to start the install process: clicking the icon on the install disk gives only the option to restart, and when I restart, the computer always boots on the 6Gb drive, regardless of how I set the Start Up disk or whether I hold down C, or Option, or neither, while booting. No doubt someone will say I am pushing my luck running Tiger on a G3, but I installed it on a G3 iMac in just the same way and had no problems.

2. emt1 macrumors 65816

Boot into Tiger, go to System Preferences -> Start up disk. Is the external DVD drive an option?

3. Norman Burr thread starter macrumors newbie

More on cannot upgrade 10.0.4

Yes, I have the option to select the DVD drive on the Start up screen in 10.0.4, but if I do so the instruction is ignored on start up. So I cannot boot in Tiger because I can't persuade the computer to start on the disk which contains it. I go round in circles!

4. millar876 macrumors 6502a

millar876

make sure you have the latest firmware update for your mac. These can usually be found at www.apple.com/support.

Follow the instructions to the letter. Some install discs also came with firmware updates on them because they required it. but check the site anyhoo.

5. Dane D. macrumors 6502a

Blue and White G3s can't boot from external drives. Know anybody that you borrow a internal DVD drive from?

6. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

If you have another mac, boot the tower into Target Disk mode and install it that way.