Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CBR900RR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 11, 2008
Middle of Pacific
Upgrade iphone4 4.01 with tinyumbrella to 4.1 and 01.59.00 baseband are preserve, but when I try to restore it again with the same 4.1 ipsw without tinyumbrella, I cannot upgrade the baseband to 02.10.04 , strange.
This happen last Fri before the limera1n.

Edit: correction on the baseband version #

yifanlu

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2009
Upgrade iphone4 4.01 with tinyumbrella to 4.1 and 01.59.00 baseband are preserve, but when I try to restore it again with the same 4.1 ipsw without tinyumbrella, I cannot upgrade the baseband to 05.14.02, strange.
This happen last Fri before the limera1n.

I'm confused. 1.59.00 is an iPhone 4 baseband version while 5.14.02 is a 3g/3gs baseband version. 2.10.04 is the iPhone 4 baseband on firmware 4.1.

Second, why would you ever want to upgrade the baseband? Having an unlockable baseband will rase resell value and lets you use other carriers if you are traveling. Upgrading the baseband won't speed things up, fix bugs, or introduce new features. The new baseband is solely to block ultrasn0w.

CBR900RR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 11, 2008
Middle of Pacific
I'm confused. 1.59.00 is an iPhone 4 baseband version while 5.14.02 is a 3g/3gs baseband version. 2.10.04 is the iPhone 4 baseband on firmware 4.1.

Second, why would you ever want to upgrade the baseband? Having an unlockable baseband will rase resell value and lets you use other carriers if you are traveling. Upgrading the baseband won't speed things up, fix bugs, or introduce new features. The new baseband is solely to block ultrasn0w.

I just want to test out tinyumbrella before I take the iphone4 back to apple store for an exchange, but after sucessfully upgrade to 4.1 with the preserve baseband 01.59.00 , I want to put it back to ios 4.1 with the correct baseband 2.10.04.
Dunno, maybe a bug in tinyumbrella.

tempusfugit

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2009
Chicago
I just want to test out tinyumbrella before I take the iphone4 back to apple store for an exchange, but after sucessfully upgrade to 4.1 with the preserve baseband 01.59.00 , I want to put it back to ios 4.1 with the correct baseband 2.10.04.
Dunno, maybe a bug in tinyumbrella.

i don't think semaphore (author of TU, aka @notcom) would consider this a bug :D

Anyway, if you're really set on upgrading baseband why don't you try downgrading to ios 4.0.1 and then doing a non-TU 4.1 restore? do you have shsh's for this?

Alternatively, you could say (at the apple store) "yeah i remember i got an error at some point, durrrrrr" and play dumb about the baseband version (if it even comes up). I doubt they could tell or prove you're lying (or care?).

Also, if you have 4.0.1 shsh's or 4.0.2 you could put it on that and and the old baseband would no longer be suspect...

And remember, the less info the better. You don't need to spill out the device's life story for the "geniuses"

ignus graius

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2005
Not sure if this helps, but my experience has been that when I close Tiny Umbrella, it automatically changes my hosts file to redirect SHSH requests to the Cydia server. Presumably, this would have the same effect as using TU. Have you checked your hosts file to see if it redirects traffic destined for gs.apple.com?

CBR900RR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 11, 2008
Middle of Pacific
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Thanks for all the input, I already exchange my ip4.

bripab007

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2009

Untrue. Apple's sole purpose for releasing baseband upgrade is not to block Ultrasn0w, it's primarily to give better reception, less dropped calls, work better in conjunction with whatever AT&T network upgrades are taking place, get better signal using less power, etc. Blocking Ultrasn0w/locking the phone to a single carrier is secondary to these things.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Untrue. Apple's sole purpose for releasing baseband upgrade is not to block Ultrasn0w, it's primarily to give better reception, less dropped calls, work better in conjunction with whatever AT&T network upgrades are taking place, get better signal using less power, etc. Blocking Ultrasn0w/locking the phone to a single carrier is secondary to these things.

LOL I said this so many times, People thinks that Apple whole engineering team is working just to Block the small % of people that Jailbreak and they expend all the testing time and R&D just to mess up with a few :rolleyes:

shigs

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2009

Have there been any reports of what changes were made in the 02.10.04 baseband and whether or not people using it are noticing better reception?

As for why I'm interested, I have no use for the unlock since I use AT&T and I currently am experiencing dropped calls. The only reason I have for keeping 1.59 is that I do not want to hurt my chances of being able to jailbreak in the future.

Fabricman112

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010
Not sure if this helps, but my experience has been that when I close Tiny Umbrella, it automatically changes my hosts file to redirect SHSH requests to the Cydia server. Presumably, this would have the same effect as using TU. Have you checked your hosts file to see if it redirects traffic destined for gs.apple.com?

yupp this ^ happens.. removed the entry and got the "real" update

bripab007

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2009
Have there been any reports of what changes were made in the 02.10.04 baseband and whether or not people using it are noticing better reception?

As for why I'm interested, I have no use for the unlock since I use AT&T and I currently am experiencing dropped calls. The only reason I have for keeping 1.59 is that I do not want to hurt my chances of being able to jailbreak in the future.

Sorry, I don't have those details. Apple doesn't give release notes for baseband updates, either, so it's anyone's guess.

Remember, baseband updates will only hurt your chances of being able to unlock, they won't have any effect on your ability to jailbreak.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.