CANNOT USE COMPUTER AT ALL AFTER LOGIN SCREEN. Only happening now.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by audiodan, Oct 29, 2007.

1. audiodan macrumors newbie

Well, I turn on my computer tonight, and guess what? After I log in, it takes me to a set up assistant, as if I only installed Leopard now. I complete this set up assistant, and go back to the login screen. I log in, and get the same set up window again! It keeps repeating, no matter what account I am on. This is terrible because I have no access what so ever to my computer's files at all. Just know, that I was able to use my computer perfectly before tonight.

2. TonicAngel macrumors regular

I have the same problem on our g5. It logged in yesterday into the account just fine, then the hard drive stopped showing up this afternoon. I restarted and now its endless setup assistant loop. Its been two hours of quitting and it still shows up. I have no idea how to fix this. Anyone have a fix?? :mad:

3. audiodan thread starter macrumors newbie

If someone does get it, please post step by step instructions. The link above is not very clear, and I may be doing something wrong.

4. audiodan thread starter macrumors newbie

NVM, got it! :D Basically a regular restart will do it after booting safe and hitting restart.

5. TonicAngel macrumors regular

i'm in the middle of a backup... but I'll start in safe mode and then see what happens. So you started in safe mode, quit setup assistant and then restarted and it worked??

Edit: I cannot get it to boot into safe mode... Does it usually take several minutes to boot up? The gear was spinning on the apple logo screen but the fans came on full blast and wouldn't let up. I'm not sure wth it is doing. :(

6. audiodan thread starter macrumors newbie

It took my Mac like 10 minutes. I put my iPod on the shift key while I waited.

7. BobZune macrumors 6502a

At least all the Apple products interoperate. :D

[Sorry, couldn't resist. I like Leopard a lot after solving some install issues.]

8. audiodan thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree completely, with a Zune, or any other M$ MP3 player, there would be compatibility errors, and the protected files, just like in iTunes, wouldn't boot in safe mode. :D