Cannot Use Divx Web Player Anymore

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by INFIDEL, Oct 2, 2008.

1. INFIDEL macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'm using OSX 10.5, Safari 3.04, and Firefox 3.03.

Until yesterday, I was using Divx for Mac to watch divx movies/tv in both my browsers, when suddenly it didn't work. On sites where previously, the divx player popped up automatically, I am getting no player at all in Firefox, and a "no video" message in Safari. At one stage, instead of getting a divx player, i was getting a Quicktime player, but even that has stopped happening. When I look under "Tools' and 'AddOns" in Firefox, it shows Divx Web Player 1.4.0 233 enabled, but it aint working!!

The only thing I changed was to update to Firefox 3.03, and an automatic security update for said Firefox on the same day - (but would that affect Safari)?

I have tried uninstalling Divx for Mac with both AppDelete, and the uninstaller that comes with it. But when then re-install Divx for Mac, and restart my Mac and my browsers, it tells me 'a previous version of Divx exists on this Mac!!".

Would love if anyone could tell me what I am missing. Should i uninstall and reinstall my browsers? Any help gratefully accepted, losing Divx has shot a large hole in my internet tv viewing!!
    Thanks!
    steve:)

2. Str8edgepunker macrumors 6502

3. INFIDEL thread starter macrumors newbie

Astounding, solved me own problem!!

Remembered that I was messing with VLC streaming preferences shortly before the divx web player crashed. I'd uninstalled VLC, just in case there was a conflict. However, after reading a guide elsewhere, which recommended removing Quicktime. Plugin.webplugin from the Library/Internet Plugins, to the desktop, (tried that, wasn't that, drat) I took a closer look and saw a stray VLC.plugin.plugin in he Internet Plugins folder.

Moved THAT to desktop, re-installed Divx Installer , Divx Web player works like a dream!

Now, given the amount of questions re: divx web player suddenly failing in Safari and Firefox, I wonder if there's an issue between VLC and Divx Web Player in Leopard, causing the Divx player not to work - will leave that to the brainiacs out there!!
    Thanks once again, great informative site!!
    steve

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I have both and they work.

Good to know your issue is resolved!