cannot use internet while on call

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by abz1981, Mar 21, 2011.

1. abz1981 macrumors 65816

Hi
    I do not know if this has already been discussed. However has anyone else noticed that they cannot use the internet while on a call, using 3G. I am on the O2 network. I am sure I used to be able to use internet and be on a call on 3G before. Noticed since the latest 4.3 update. I can't seem to do this. It says a data connection cannot be established during this call?

2. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

I think you have to have a 3G signal in order to do that.

3. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I'm on o2 and have no problems at all using the internet whilst on a call. It will only work if you're on a 3G network though (if it has an E or a dot next to the signal strength bars you're on EDGE or GPRS which don't support simultaneous data and voice)

4. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Maybe the signal is not strong enough to support both? You may still be on 3g but the signal cant handle it?

5. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

6. himni macrumors regular

Is there also Edge where you are using the 3G? If you are on a 3G only network that doesn't have Edge also you can only do one or the other.

7. abz1981 thread starter macrumors 65816

Hey everyone

its working now lol. I had full signal. I was using it while i was in the car. I tested it at work, while on a call and its now working. Maybe I was going through a bad signal location for 3G. Its all ok now :)

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That is false.
    Where did you hear that nonsense that you need both edge and 3G coverage to do both?
    All you need is GSM 3G to do calls and data together.

9. himni macrumors regular

Your right.. I thought I read something about some of the Canadian carriers that only have 3G and not Edge but I cannot find it anymore. It is true that you have to have 3G to do both you can't do it on Edge.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Correct.
    I heard many other countries just discontinued 2G/Edge services and sticking to just 3G and HSPA+ and down the road LTE.
    I also think Japan doesnt have 2G available and some other contries also.