Cannot use trackpad when installing OS X

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Rob21, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Rob21 macrumors newbie

I'm attempting to do a clean install of Mavericks on my mid-2009 13-inch MacBook Pro.

I don't have a Super Drive in my MBP as I replaced it with an extra HDD. I'm using a flash drive as an install disk for Mavericks and it covers the other USB port making it impossible to even use a wired mouse (even though I don't have one).

For some weird reason, I can't click with my trackpad now so I can't click on the install button. Switching options with the keyboard is doable but I can't get past the final button.

Any ideas?

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Easy!
    If you have a flash drive that is so massive that it covers the adjacent port, then get a USB extension cable. You may need to hunt for that, as some shops don't have the extensions, just regular USBs, so you may need to try a couple of different stores. Plug the extension cable, which will have a more normal size plug, into your MBPro, and attach the flash drive to the end of that extension cable. And, now you have space for the USB mouse. You'll have to find one of those, too. Maybe you can borrow one from a friend (absolutely doesn't need to be Apple brand, any normal USB mouse will do the job.)

3. ontl macrumors newbie

Don't mean to patronize, but just in case you're having one of those days:

Even if you normally have tap-to-click enabled, the Mavericks installer only works with full click-downs of the trackpad. I use tap-to-click and it always takes me a couple seconds to realize what's going on.

You've probably tried this but thought I'd mention it just in case ;)