Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

germanix

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2009
Hannover, Germany
For some reason that I can´t explain I am unable to watch any youTube videos on my iMac. I have "click to Flash" installed and can watch flash content on all other sites. When I login to my account at youTube I also need to click to flash but then I get instead of the video, a "go Upgrade". I took this to mean that the flash player needed upgrading so I agreed to download the latest Flash Player and installed it. This has made no difference. I even went so far as to create a new YouTube account with a different e-mail address but nothing helps. Can anyone please give me some advice what I can do or try to get to watch the YouTube videos?
This problem is only when I use Safari. Using Firefox I can watch youTube.

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
sounds like clicktoflash is messing up your YouTube account......

YouTube will be fine on FireFox since clicktoflash only works with Safari.

Have you tried watching YouTube videos without logging in to your account ?

Clicktoflash is working fine here - although I never log in to my YouTube account.

germanix

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2009
Hannover, Germany
sounds like clicktoflash is messing up your YouTube account......

YouTube will be fine on FireFox since clicktoflash only works with Safari.

Have you tried watching YouTube videos without logging in to your account ?

Clicktoflash is working fine here - although I never log in to my YouTube account.

Yes I did try to watch YouTube without logging in to my account but the results are the same.

marc.cizravi

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
For some reason that I can´t explain I am unable to watch any youTube videos on my iMac. I have "click to Flash" installed and can watch flash content on all other sites. When I login to my account at youTube I also need to click to flash but then I get instead of the video, a "go Upgrade". I took this to mean that the flash player needed upgrading so I agreed to download the latest Flash Player and installed it. This has made no difference. I even went so far as to create a new YouTube account with a different e-mail address but nothing helps. Can anyone please give me some advice what I can do or try to get to watch the YouTube videos?
This problem is only when I use Safari. Using Firefox I can watch youTube.

http://www.youtube.com/html5

=]

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
very strange

I am using OSX 10.6.3. + Safari 4.0.5 + ClicktoFlash (latest version I think)

what happens when you right click on a video window in Safari on YouTube ?

do you get the QuickTime options ? Load Flash option ?

germanix

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2009
Hannover, Germany
right click does not give me any options of that sort you mentioned.
When the page opens the video is grey with the word flash on it. As I click it the video attempts to load but within a split of a second it vanishes again and all I get is a white space where the video should be.
I also tried the html5 as was suggested by Marc but nothing happens when I click on the link to participate in Html5I could live without YouTube but now and again I get a link sent to me by email from friends linking to a YouTube video and then I seem to have this problem. This is a new problem. Could have started after the last update to 10.6.3 but I am not sure of this. I did repair the HD permissions after that update though.

germanix

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2009
Hannover, Germany
Thank you "yellow" for your tip. I went back to YouTube to try what you suggested but now find that the videos are no longer presented in Flash, they have no changed and now works in Html5. It seems that my browser no uses this Html to connect to the videos so thank you "marc" for that advice. So the problem now seems to be solved one way or the other. Thank you all for your responses to my problem and for having helped me to solve it.:):)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.