cannot write to home directory

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hajime, Oct 23, 2013.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello, I did the following:

mv ~/course_data/ /home/ on a terminal under Mac OS/X.

On the screen, it says "mv: rename /Users/Hajime/course_data/ to /home/course_data/: Operation not supported"

How come I cannot write to the home directory? What can I do?
    I already did: sudo chmod 777 /home/

Thanks.

2. chown33 macrumors 604

Post the output of this command-line:
    Code:
    ls -lde /home ; id

If it outputs any error messages, post them.

3. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Hello, the output is:

uid=501(Hajime) gid=20(staff) groups=20(staff),12(everyone),33(_appstore),61(localaccounts),79(_appserverusr),80(admin),81(_appserveradm),98(_lpadmin),100(_lpoperator),204(_developer),401(com.apple.access_screensharing)

4. chown33 macrumors 604

The command-line I gave contained two commands. It should have produced at least two lines of output. What you've posted is only the output of one command (id). I need to see the output of both commands.

If there is a /home directory, it should produce output similar to this:
    Code:
    dr-xr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  1 Oct  4 13:13 /home

If there isn't a /home directory, it should produce output like this:
    Code:
    ls: /home: No such file or directory

5. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Sorry. I tried it again. I got:

drwxrwxrwx 2 root wheel 1 Oct 24 08:38 /home
    uid=501(Hajime) gid=20(staff) groups=20(staff),12(everyone),33(_appstore),61(localaccounts),79(_appserverusr),80(admin),81(_appserveradm),98(_lpadmin),100(_lpoperator),204(_developer),401(com.apple.access_screensharing)

6. chown33 macrumors 604

Please explain exactly why you want to move ~/course_data into /home. What are you trying to accomplish?

If you're following instructions that tell you to move ~/course_data to /home, where did those instructions come from?

The directory /home isn't your user-home directory. It's a hidden root-owned directory. The fact it's hidden suggests it has some special significance to OS X. Altering it may mean that you'll either break something, or may already have broken it, either by changing the permissions on /home, or by moving things into it.

Unless there's a specific reason for doing what you're asking for, this seems like a bad idea to me. The safest thing would be to restore the original permissions, and stop trying to do this.

To see the hidden attribute (if it still has one), use this command:
    Code:
    ls -ledO /home

7. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Using the above command, I got:

drwxrwxrwx 2 root wheel hidden 1 Oct 24 08:38 /home

8. chown33 macrumors 604

Those permissions differ from the originals. And the directory is hidden.

You still haven't explained why you want to do this. Please answer the following questions:

1. Explain exactly why you want to move ~/course_data into /home. What are you trying to accomplish?

2. If you're following instructions that tell you to move ~/course_data to /home, where did those instructions come from?