Canon 18-55: Upgrade to IS?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by rusty2192, Nov 16, 2010.

1. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

Hi all, I am looking for some advice. I bought a used Canon Rebel XT about 6 months ago. It is my first DSLR (or SLR for that matter). It came with the original 18-55 non-IS lens. I have been doing a little research and it looks like i could probably get about $75-$80 for my EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II lens. On Amazon, you can buy one of the newer stabilized versions for only slightly more, about $90 used.

Would it be worth the small investment for the stabilization? I have noticed quite a few of my shots being blurry due to slow shutter speeds in low light. Would you recommend spending the ~$20 to upgrade to the IS version or just use that money to go towards a new lens (either the 50mm 1.8 or 55-250 IS is next on my list)?

2. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

My 0.02, get the 50 f1.8, nifty - fifty.
    I'd NOT upgrade from a 18-55 non IS to IS....you can use the 50mm for low light shooting and the 18-55 for brighter light conditions where you don't need IS for now.

Later, look at the 55-250 IS. Then, decide if you will stick with the hobby as is or grow your lens to better glass, then look at the low zoom for better quality.

I got my T1i with both IS kit lens, great starter lens. My next lens was 50mm f1.4, then 15-85mm zoom. I've since retired the 18-55 IS kit lens, when I get a 70-200 f2.8 then I'll sell both kit lens as a package, they are in great shape and just 1 year old.
    It's good to get 1 lens at a time and use it/learn it.

have fun with the hobby.

3. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

More than just IS. The IS revision brought about significant image quality improvement for that lens.

4. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Yeah, the IS version is not only stabilized, it's actually a respectable little kit lens, unlike the one you have, which is widely maligned as a cruel joke played on Rebel owners of its era.

The 50mm f/1.8 II and the stabilized kit lens are both good options if you want to keep your lens investment to a minimum.

5. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

LOL....

Try $20 in trade (what I got for mine...)

They sell for around $50 in great condition.

6. rusty2192 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was just going by what the prices are listed as on Amazon. So maybe I'll find a buyer, maybe not. If not, it's not a big deal. I will definitely be getting the 50mm f/1.8 at some point. But from what others have said, I would be getting more than just stabilization with the newer 18-55. I'll have to keep that in mind. Thanks to everyone for their input.

7. rusty2192 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sold old, now what for new?

Well, just as an update, I checked Amazon's used marketplace yesterday and saw that all of the cheap listings had been sold, so the cheapest one was $95. I put mine up for $89.99. I had an email this morning saying it sold. So with amazon taking about $10 commission, I will get about $80 for my lens.

So, now comes my new question. Should I just go with the Canon 18-55 IS for around $100 (used or refurbished) on Amazon, or should I actually look into other lenses? I will use it as my general walk around lens as a hobby. I believe I will be getting the 50mm 1.8 for Christmas and the 55-250 IS is on my list for the future. I'm nit really wanting to spend a lot of money right now, but if there is something that is worth it, I may just go for it and get away from the kit lenses.

8. Rowbear macrumors 6502a

Rowbear

You can get the I.S. version with a $20 investment ? Of course its worth it.

9. chadamorrill macrumors 6502

I will agree with the second poster and say that the 50mm f1.8 is an awesome lens. The first shot I took with mine, after 9 months of using only the 18-55 IS kit lens that came with the T1i, absolutely blew me away. At just around $100, the 50mm is worth every cent.

EDIT: Just read that you think you'll get it for Christmas. If you have an "in" with Santa, and you're for sure you're getting it, go ahead and get the kit IS lens. I think I spent about $250 or 300 for my Tamron (which I love), but it sounds like it's a little more $ than you want to spend. The kit IS lens isn't terrible, but you will see an incredible difference when you opt for faster lenses.