Canon 24-105mm problem?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by paul1500, Aug 3, 2009.

1. paul1500 macrumors newbie

Hi, just picked up my eos5d mk2 with 24-105mm. Noticed that the lens focus ring works regardless of the position of the M/AF switch on the lens body!?

Is this correct? I am guessing its faulty.

Help anyone. Thanks

2. gatepc macrumors 6502

gatepc

Yeah it sounds like something is up.I am no expert though maybe that lens is supposed to let you turn it even if its on auto? I am envious of your 5D :)

3. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

Yes, that's intentional. It's known as full time manual focusing.

4. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

You bought a 5D Mark II without being aware of FTM which exists on all L series lenses, and several non-Ls? Can I also guess you'll be using the 5D on Auto?

5. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

What is "Manual Focusing"? :eek:

LOL.....

6. jampat macrumors 6502a

Most (all?) of Canon's better lenses have this feature to allow you to manually finetune the focus. Switching the lens to M just turns off the motor so it doesn't attempt to focus itself.

7. maeman macrumors newbie

It's a shame, isn't it? :eek:

8. paul1500 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

yes I did, thats why I asked the question.

Can I assume you are single, a 'bit 'nerdy' and were bullied at school for being a tw@t, with lots of time on your hands, hence you waste it here!

Thanks for the help everyone else.

9. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Actually I've had a partner for nearly four years, work as a photographer and wasn't bullied at school. I mainly wonder how you can spend so much on a camera without actually knowing much about it, whilst a lower end dSLR (50D or similar) will probably give you the same results for a lesser entry price.

10. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

Sooooo... (Ignores all the controversy)

Here's how FTM focus works. Put the camera in aperture priority mode (Av). Spin it down to f/4.0 with that new lens of yours. Zoom to 105mm for a nice, narrow depth of field. Someplace with some good light, find a relatively close object with some depth to it like a sideways shot of your keyboard, IIRC you'll need to be about 12" to 14" away with that lens. Press the shutter halfway down and the camera will autofocus, probably on that center + in the viewfinder. Still holding the shutter halfway down, play with the focus ring and you'll see that you can override the point that autofocus selected, moving it a bit farther back or closer. To get a bit better feel for this, use the depth-of-field preview button to see what the picture is really going to look like with your actual aperture.

11. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

Wow, paul... welcome to the forums. You sound like a lovely person. :)