Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paul1500

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2007
Hi, just picked up my eos5d mk2 with 24-105mm. Noticed that the lens focus ring works regardless of the position of the M/AF switch on the lens body!?

Is this correct? I am guessing its faulty.

Help anyone. Thanks

gatepc

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2008
Pittsburgh PA
Yeah it sounds like something is up.I am no expert though maybe that lens is supposed to let you turn it even if its on auto? I am envious of your 5D :)

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
Yes, that's intentional. It's known as full time manual focusing.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
You bought a 5D Mark II without being aware of FTM which exists on all L series lenses, and several non-Ls? Can I also guess you'll be using the 5D on Auto?

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
Hi, just picked up my eos5d mk2 with 24-105mm. Noticed that the lens focus ring works regardless of the position of the M/AF switch on the lens body!?

Is this correct? I am guessing its faulty.

Help anyone. Thanks

Most (all?) of Canon's better lenses have this feature to allow you to manually finetune the focus. Switching the lens to M just turns off the motor so it doesn't attempt to focus itself.

paul1500

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2007
thanks

You bought a 5D Mark II without being aware of FTM which exists on all L series lenses, and several non-Ls? Can I also guess you'll be using the 5D on Auto?

yes I did, thats why I asked the question.

Can I assume you are single, a 'bit 'nerdy' and were bullied at school for being a tw@t, with lots of time on your hands, hence you waste it here!

Thanks for the help everyone else.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
yes I did, thats why I asked the question.

Can I assume you are single, a 'bit 'nerdy' and were bullied at school for being a tw@t, with lots of time on your hands, hence you waste it here!

Thanks for the help everyone else.

Actually I've had a partner for nearly four years, work as a photographer and wasn't bullied at school. I mainly wonder how you can spend so much on a camera without actually knowing much about it, whilst a lower end dSLR (50D or similar) will probably give you the same results for a lesser entry price.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Sooooo... (Ignores all the controversy)

Here's how FTM focus works. Put the camera in aperture priority mode (Av). Spin it down to f/4.0 with that new lens of yours. Zoom to 105mm for a nice, narrow depth of field. Someplace with some good light, find a relatively close object with some depth to it like a sideways shot of your keyboard, IIRC you'll need to be about 12" to 14" away with that lens. Press the shutter halfway down and the camera will autofocus, probably on that center + in the viewfinder. Still holding the shutter halfway down, play with the focus ring and you'll see that you can override the point that autofocus selected, moving it a bit farther back or closer. To get a bit better feel for this, use the depth-of-field preview button to see what the picture is really going to look like with your actual aperture.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.