Canon 30d second hand

salacious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2011
Hi All, iv been looking at getting a dslr for my mum and at a cheap price point is the 30d good enough to beat point and shoot cameras under £120? the lens that i would get with it is the 50mm mk2?

i can get a second hand one for around £80 so any opinions?

thanks

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
Hi All, iv been looking at getting a dslr for my mum and at a cheap price point is the 30d good enough to beat point and shoot cameras under £120? the lens that i would get with it is the 50mm mk2?

i can get a second hand one for around £80 so any opinions?

thanks
The 30D is a great camera. Easily better than almost any P&S I can think of.

Keep in mind that the 50 f/1.8 will have the equivalent angle of view of an 80mm lens on the 30D. You may want to consider a 30 or 35mm lens, which will give a more traditional 50mm-like angle of view on the 30D.

Comment

salacious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2011
The 30D is a great camera. Easily better than almost any P&S I can think of.

Keep in mind that the 50 f/1.8 will have the equivalent angle of view of an 80mm lens on the 30D. You may want to consider a 30 or 35mm lens, which will give a more traditional 50mm-like angle of view on the 30D.
thanks for the comment, its ok my mum can walk backwards to fit it in her shot :) if theres any bridges lets hope she can float in mid-air lol

Comment

chriscl

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2008
Stuttgart, Germany
The 30D is a brilliant camera, I have one myself :)

Its image quality is still better than almost any P&S camera you can buy now, and in combination with a "nifty fifty" Canon prime you'll have an excellent setup (especially in low light...)

Image quality of the 50mm lens is actually very good considering its cheap price - I once spent a week in Turkey armed with just the 30D and a 50mm f1.8 lens and came back with some fantastic shots!

Comment

salacious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2011
The 30D is a brilliant camera, I have one myself :)

Its image quality is still better than almost any P&S camera you can buy now, and in combination with a "nifty fifty" Canon prime you'll have an excellent setup (especially in low light...)

Image quality of the 50mm lens is actually very good considering its cheap price - I once spent a week in Turkey armed with just the 30D and a 50mm f1.8 lens and came back with some fantastic shots!
looks like my mums a lucky woman then! guess im lucky getting it for cheap too!

do you have any shots online?

Comment