Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Here's the deal. Buy a Nikon and then you will have to buy Nikon lenses for it. Buy the Canon and then you will need to buy Canon lenses for it. Quickly you will have invested more money in lenses than in the body. (At least you should spend more on lenses then on the body.)

In a few years you have all this expensive lenses and it's time to replace the body with the new technology body. So what brand do you buy? Kind of a no brainer given your lenses collection.

So, do not select a brand based on just one DSLR body. It's the smallest part of the system and the first part of it you will replace

Plan out the whole system, body, lenses, stobe and all. If price matters, little details like knowing the Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 AF sells for $600 on the used market maek tip the scale if used equivalent Canon zooms go for $1,200. Compare systems not bodies.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Suggestion, one that makes a lot more sense.

Pentax. The K100D Super has in-body stabilization, runs on AAs, and can take any Pentax lens made since the 1970s. It takes amazing pictures-- my friend has one, and it's great. Plus, you can't beat the price for what you get-- $550.

jaduffy108

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005

amin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
The 40D seems to fall nicely between the D80 and D300 in price and features. All three are excellent cameras, so I'd recommend that you consider your budget and just make a decision. Both systems have great lenses, and contrary to popular opinion, it's not necessary to end up with 50 lenses in the end if your happy with one or two.

libertyterran

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2007
Let me tell you my adventure so far:

4 months ago, I felt the need to get into the DSLR playground > Done research > Nikon > Decided to buy D80 >

I Went to the US > Finally decided to buy the D40 + its little awesome kit lens > Save ~ 600$ compared to the D80 set> Bought 18-200VR lens > I thought I never regret >

I went back to Australia and and started shooting > Hmmm need a camera back > More research + window shopping > Lowepro slingshot AW200 >

After nearly two months > I realized that VR won't give you tack-sharp photos > Bought a Manfrotto tripod+head set > Awesome >

I also realized that the little built-in flash didn't help that much and always created hash shadows on the object > Went buy SB-600 + diffusers > The quality of my photos increased by at least 50% > External flash is a must >

I next realized that zoom lenses (the consumer ones like 18-55 18-135 18-200 55-200 etc) aint that sharp compared to pro lenses and prime lenses >

Ooops no. 1, I should've bought the Nikon D80 or at least the D50 as they support older lenses to take advanges of the Nikon awesome prime line up.

Ooops no. 2, I should've bought the Nikon D80 or at least the D50 as they support 3rd party cheap lenses such as Tamron, Tokina and Sigma.

Ooops no. 3, I should've saved money to go all the way to the 70-200 f/2.8 VR or anything will a gold ring around top of the lens (pro-signal of Nikkor lenses).

Ooops no. 4, I've realized that even if I had the 2nd top of the line D300 + whatever pro lenses Nikon offer, I won't have the performance of a fullframe camera (such as the Canon 5D or the Nikon D3) and if I go FullFrame I gotta drop all of my current lenses. Which leads to Ooops no.5

Ooops no. 5, I realized that as my photography skills grow up, I slowly broke through whatever gears I had at the beginning and urged to get a better ones, thus more and more money is spent.

Photography aint cheap, and a buying a little camera and a kit lens is just the very first step of the long journey. Ofcourse, if I knew all this, I could've gone all the way and bought something like a Canon 5D + a couple of decent L lenses. Nonetheless, having Nikon D40+18-200VR is such a pleasure for me as they have helped me much to crawl around before I can stand up and walk away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.