Canon 50 mm f/1.2 L

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by BJB Productions, Jun 5, 2011.

1. BJB Productions, Jun 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2011

BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Hi all,
    I use Nikon to shoot, but I have this really bad hankerin' for the Canon 50 mm f/1.2 L. Nikon does not manufacture this lens anymore for their cameras (they used to; for their film cameras), and you're lucky if you can find even a Nikon one for sale anywhere.

So basically my question is:
    I know you can get adapters that convert canon lenses to Nikon. Anyone tried these? Would it give the full effect of the lens? (I know it would get some cropping, right?) Do these adapters work though?

Or, do I keep my eyes out for a Nikon version for sale...
    Edit:
    OR-- Do I just go for the 1.4 version which Nikon does manufacture? http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Product/Camera-Lenses/2180/AF-S-NIKKOR-50mm-f%2F1.4G.html. --- anyone used this one? How does it compare?
    Thanks

2. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

I'm not so sure on the whole adapter front as I think with the most expensive ones the camera registers aperture but you still have to manual focus? (at f1.2 that could be pretty hard!)

I have heard mixed things about the lens though. Some swear by it but at the same time many have had issues with the focus and the softness of it. There seem to be quite a few lemons floating about but then again it could just be due to calibrations with different bodies and the quality control accuracy of canons line.

I think I read a rumour that canon is looking at upgrading all of its 50mm line soon and since it's such a lot of money maybe wait a bit?

3. ComputersaysNo macrumors 6502

ComputersaysNo

The link you provided for the adapter is a Nikon lens on a Canonbody. Nikonlenses have aperturerings, Canonlenses do not.

So it won't work unless you'll shoot at f1.2 all the time.

4. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Thanks for the tips. Anyone used the Nikon 1.4? How does it compare in terms of crispness?

5. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Also, the Canon 50mm f/1.2 won't focus at all on a Nikon body. The focus ring is electronic, so the camera needs to be powered on for it to focus. I don't think that would work on a Nikon body, so it probably won't work at all.

6. peepboon macrumors 6502

peepboon

There are two Nikon 50mm 1.4.

The new 1.4G and the older 1.4D. Both are equally as good as each other, I think the 1.4D has slightly better performance though. The G version has the silent motor, the D version is noisy.

I heard that Canon 50mm 1.2 is a little soft too.

7. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

The 50mm 1.2 is only sharp if you hit the focus spot on, which is VERY difficult to do because the DOF is already so razor thin. Best way to do it is to at least use liveview. It's fairly sharp from 1.4 and on.

8. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

FWIW, you can still get Nikon f1.2 manual focus lenses new...

But, I have had both the 1.4G and 1.4D and I have to say, I like the G a lot more. it is just a great , light and very fast lens.

f1.2 is difficult to hit the focus on even with autofocus.. the slightest movement and its out of focus...

1.4 is still difficult but easier :)

9. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Thanks guys for all the very helpful reviews on the 1.4, great to hear more than just reviews on B&H. Probably going to go with it. Sounds like a great lens for my needs. :)

10. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

Keep in mind that Sigma actually manufactures the "best" 50mm f1.4 for popular mounts. If you get a good copy, it's sharper and has better bokeh than both Nikon and Canon equivalents. It can sometimes be a bit pricier, however.