Canon 500d

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by kart, Jan 3, 2012.

1. kart macrumors member

Afternoon all!
    Im from Australia, and wanting to start mucking around with an SLR
    I'm wondering, if anyone knows a good website to get a Canon 500d SLR either with lens, or body only, or anything similar around the $400 mark
    Happy to buy from the US or anywhere in the world, just wanting to get something decent for around the $400 mark.

Thanks!

2. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

3. fduvall macrumors newbie

I think B&H is the best store in the world to buy equipment from. And they have a used store that sometimes has great buys. But the retail prices are low and the customer support is great. I just bought another camera for my wife at B&H for Christmas. Go to www.bhphoto.com

Also, you can comparison shop at these sites: Adorama, Amazon, eBay, Ritz, Calumet, J&R and ScanCafe. I got this info from a prof photographer/blogger who has lots of info on his site at: http://www.kenrockwell.com/index.htm

I think they all ship globally.

Good luck.

fduvall

4. VI™ macrumors 6502a

Is new a must?

You could check out Fred Miranda, Photography On The net, The Photo Forum, or any forum based site with a good classified section and find something like a 60D for probably close to the same price. The XXD series of cameras are better handling, contain more features, and are just more solid over all IMHO.

5. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

Look out for run out models at:

The Good Guys
    JB HiFi
    Officeworks

I've seen some pretty significant price cuts on older dSLRs at The Good Guys before.

6. Kristine macrumors 6502a

This is probably one of the best deals going at the moment for Australian stock. It is for the 550D however (not the 500D), but due to the great pricing, it would be worth it if you can stretch your budget slightly.

7. kart thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for that, i have also too found the 550d (australian stock) with the lens for $599
    Now I'm thinking the 600d, because I can get the Japanese version, with the 18-55mm lens for $645 inc postage, but I'm not sure about the Jap version "Canon EOS Kiss X5" Thoughts?

8. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

If you're going to go that high, do also take a look at the Pentax k-r, it's a better value camera imo.
    If you take a look on the Australian Whirlpool forum, many users are getting good deals on them from JB Hi-Fi.