Canon 5D Mark II - A videography revolution?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by fivepoint, Nov 6, 2008.

1. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

I've been reading up a bit on the new Canon 5D Mark II (dSLR) through Gizmodo and a few other sites... they seem to be implying that due to recent technological breakthroughs including processor speed, and old benefits such as the glass and sensor, SLR's might now be able to produce higher quality videos than even the best video cameras. They posted a few example videos, both of which were VERY impressive by my standards. I'd really like to get your opinions and thoughts on how this might change the video industry.

http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=2086

http://gizmodo.com/5078123/its-offi...urn-us-all-into-professional-cinematographers

http://gizmodo.com/5050819/canon-5d-mark-iis-full-hd-video-is-so-stunning-our-eyes-explode

2. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

I thought there were serious limitations with the present offerings. Auto-focus, for one; resolution for another; file size is another. Those big DSLR sensors sure are appealing, though. This isn't going to change the video industry just yet - it's an intriguing option for those looking for a tool primarily for shooting stills that has the bonus of shooting short HD clips. But I doubt Canon would be jumping on this bandwagon if they thought it would cast their camcorder line-up in a shadowy light.

Andrew.

3. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

There's gonna be a sweeping change to the videography industry, with cameras like the nikon d90 and the Canon Mark II . Not saying they will replace video cameras, but the video camera makers will step it up a notch to match this high quality footage these cams are outputting.

Give it time, it's in its early stages, don't want to piss off the pro video people lol, they can't bare to hear such a thing.

I have the D90, but Mark II just stomps a mudhole in it.

4. fivepoint thread starter macrumors 65816

fivepoint

The most amazing aspect in my opinion is the low-light performance. I'm just amazed at the amount of detail it picks up in low lighting situations. The video seems to have so much 'character'. It's very hard to describe.

5. jampat macrumors 6502a

It will be interesting to see if the aftermarket comes up with video camera type handles for these SLR's. An SLR is not shaped properly to shoot video with (well not much of it anyway). Before they have a real chance, someone will need to come up with a much more comfortable (and stable) way to hand hold them. For tripod shots, the idea is intriguing though.

6. goinskiing macrumors 6502a

goinskiing

Now those were much more incredible than I had imagined they would be. Wow.

7. duncanapple macrumors 6502

Wow, those were great. Makes it even easier for a casual user to justify such an expensive camera too.

What file format does the canon record in? Based on the video I assume its something FCE, FCP, and iMovie can read?

Pretty cool regardless. I have thought about if I really want an HD video camera - I like the idea of editing and having movies, though not many things I would record would be more clips more than a few minutes each (ie babys first steps) or else they get borderline boring or something you don't ever watch again. So, from my perspective, it seems like for a lot of people, combining a really great video camera, into a stellar still camera is the way to go.

- Chris

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think a big thing too will be that tons of higher level amateurs will have access to removable optics. That will open up all kinds of cinematographical technique not previously available to them. Interesting.

(And I watched the first video... very, very nice.)

9. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Yes, the holy RED Scarlet...too bad it's not coming until year from now at earliest but they are helping to revolutionize this industry.

10. lucidmedia macrumors 6502a

I don't think he is referring to the scarlet... he it talking about the RED DSLR replacement... interesting days ahead.

11. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Speculation is that the Scarlet and RED's 'DSMC' (Digital Still & Motion Camera) are being morphed into a single product. After Nikon and Canon released their DSLRs w/HD video RED said the Scarlet and DSMC were changing and there would be more news on 11-13.

Lethal

12. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Ohh, I must be behind on the news...Can't wait!!

13. wheelhot macrumors 68020

Well since Canon wont take videography into an important factor since they have their own proper DV cams, how about Nikon? I don't think Nikon make video cams rite? The only disadvantage for Nikon is its lack of experience in making video cams, compared to Canon and Sony. :D

14. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Re: Canon 5D Mark II. I think I just found my next camera. Both me and the wife have 30D's and I have been looking to get a 5D. Think I might take the plunge after seeing that. Oh man....

15. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

Make sure to buy the rest of the kit: the multiple lenses, lighting and grip rig that went in to making that picture.

16. fivepoint thread starter macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Check out the 2nd article. They didn't use any of that... especially the helicopter.

17. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I have the lighting :D

I have several lenses now! The grip might be hard to come by thou.....

I have a feeling this remark was ment as a smart a$$ comment, because everyone knows the equipment is what makes a really good movie or picture. :rolleyes:

Check out this video. Behind the scenes shots:

http://vincentlaforet.smugmug.com/gallery/6021407_xEg87/1/#378608891_Jd2CT-A-LB

18. jammiefreerider macrumors regular

I think it is a videography revolution. People pay tons of cash to add DoF adapters and adapters for L series lens's etc. Its the look that some videographers want and now its here, perfect but in an unconventional form. There will be lots of supports that will make it feel more like a video camera.

Cant wait to see what Red does.

19. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I wouldn't say perfect as it's 30.00fps only, h.264, no manual controls in video mode, no timecode, no usable audio, skew & jello from the CMOS sensor, etc., but it definitely is a nice sign of future potential.

Lethal

20. wheelhot macrumors 68020

Yeah, videography for DSLR is awesome, well the thing that needs to be clear is that if you are serious into videography, don't be cheap and expect a 2 in one component.

I agree that DSLR + video will be able to achieve something amazing but they are a lot of other things in a proper video camera (I'm not into videography, I just enjoy recording stuffs)

But like some user posted, if you are a person who shoots some video regularly and just a general user, then this feature is great :D

21. fivepoint thread starter macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Lethal,
    Just a few questions from a video newb. Why did you list h.264 as a negative? Also, with the audio, doesn't the canon accept microphone attachments? Also, skew and jello?

Thanks
    Fivepoint

22. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

For the 'jello' effect, see the attached (Nikon D90).

CMOS chips suffer to varying degrees from the 'rolling shutter' technique they use to extract information from the sensor. They scan the image top to bottom, not all at once. Any movement during this process will cause some "jello-ing". (I may well have coined a new industry phrase there!) As I say, it varies camera-to-camera/chip-to-chip. The 5D is pretty bad. The Nikon D90 is worse.

H.264 is good — if teamed with a powerful processor; which the 5D doesn't have.

I don't see this as being of any use to event videographers. Manual focus with a sensor this size is not a run-and-gun thing, and audio syncing — even with automated software or plug-ins — would be unwelcome hassle to turnaround time.

The 5D is currently unusable for planned shoots. It's a water-tester — and I think Canon know this (wanting to see public and market reaction to the concept but not instantly risk cannibalising their camcorder sales would explain the odd 30fps frame rate). What's exciting is what the 5D and D90 suggest might be just around the corner.

Attached Files:

23. kaidomac macrumors member

Well I think the whole idea is that people are becoming more web-oriented as we get higher bandwidth at home, thus 30p = great on the web and on computer monitors. Youtube has a "High Quality" feature now and there are other methods like Vimeo or personal websites where you can put your own samples up in Flash or H.264 encoding, so really it seems targeted towards showing off your clips online. I agree, it's a water-tester and a first-generation product. I do see a LOT of potential with it, and I'm very excited to see what RED releases on the 13th. The black levels alone would make the system worth it! Now we just need 24p, no rolling stutter, etc etc etc :D

24. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Although I can't speak for Lethal himself, h.264 is very processor intensive. Often, editors will convert the format to another to speed up the editing process. Also, if I'm not mistaken, h.264 is limited to 4:2:0 color information. Basically what that means is that for every 4 recorded values of luminance (a pixel that determines how bright/dark the pixel will be) there is only 1 information of color. 4:2:0 (used by HDV) and 4:1:1 (used by DV) makes it hard to do things such as green screen work because there's a quarter of the color information there in order to find a key.

P-Worm